Rokinon 7.5mm FE vs. Panasonic 8mm FE?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zensu, Jun 19, 2014.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I'm aware that the Rokinon is manual focus only but I'm curious if any one in this forum might share their opinions on both or either of these FE's.
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Autofocus is a waste of time with a fisheye lens - set to f8 and just behind infinity on the focus ring and everything from about 2ft to infinity will be in focus. Optically the rokinon is as good (maybe better) as the panasonic - save that money for another nice prime!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I agree with pxpaulx, autofocus ought not to be a consideration IMHO. I hadn't seen the comparison review wjiang posted, very interesting, makes me an even happier owner of the Rokfish.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Thanks to all for posting, and thank you wjiang for the link! The Rokinon is the better lens and a bargain too. You rarely get those two qualities together!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

Anyone know how the Olympus ZD 4/3 8mm fisheye compares?

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you're shooting close focus and in low light, I think having AF for this type of lens has it's uses.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I shoot with a 12mm f/5.6 heliar on a Leica M body. When I first got the lens a few years ago, I was a little hesitant because it has no rangefinder coupling at all. This means I cannot focus it using the rangefinder mechanism.. I can only "guess" it.

After spending the day shooting NYC with only the 12mm in hand, I discovered that I had nothing to worry about. The DOF is so deep that you can pretty much shoot at the hip. The Heliar has two presets/notches on the focus ring to make zone focusing easy without even looking at it. Even in low light, the wide focal length makes it easy to hold longer exposures.... For some older slower focusing cameras, I would surmise that zone focusing would actually be faster.

I don't have either of these lenses being discussed but I assure you AF shouldn't be a deciding factor... just like many have already posted.
  9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    The Samyang/Roki fisheye is an absolute gem!

I love mine...manual focus is no issue at all (I set it to just this side of infinity and forget about it), and the manual aperture ring is actually fun to use.

Image quality is superb. I'm pretty sure it outresolves most (all?) of my other's just ridiculously sharp. Contrast and colours are great too, vignetting has never bothered me (which is saying something with a fisheye!) and you can really play around with the distortion...put your subject along either the horizontal or vertical axis and the distortions are very manageable!

I bought it as a cheap toy to have fun with, but it's become an integral and serious part of my kit!