Rokinon 7.5mm FE - focus ring hard to turn?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jloden, Oct 9, 2012.

1. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I just got a Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye to play around with, and the focus ring is really stiff (as in, requires both hands to turn it). Is that normal for these or did I get a problem copy? None of the other manual focus lenses I've used is like this, but I figured I'd ask if this was a known quirk of the Rokinon before I try and exchange it.

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    mine was stiff, but wasn't that stiff. you shouldnt need to turn it much anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

I own the Samyang version (which is the exact same lens, different name), and yes, the focus ring is very tight indeed... For me it is not a problem as I just leave it at infinity and f8, giving me a sharp image across the board, and it is actually a plus that the focus ring does not shift whilst in the bag... Of course if you do like to focus very close often that is a different matter. From all accounts that I have read this is a common "problem" on the Samyang and therefore probably the Rokinon 7.5mm lens, I think if you exchange it you will likely find similar behaviour in the new lens...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Mine is stiff-ish but perfectly usable one handed and not particularly worse than some other lenses I've tried on other systems.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Ok... I figured it might be normal for this lens given the price point :biggrin: Thanks all.

I will say it's kind of a bummer for close focusing... lots of fun to be had with fisheye effects up close. Certainly not a crisis though like it might be on another lens without such a huge DoF.

6. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I just received my copy. The focus lens on mine (a Rokinon-branded Samyang) is slightly stiff - but not hard to turn. What's more challenging than turning it is actually seeing things go in and out of focus. I'm trying to adopt a tactic used by other 7.5mm owners - of setting and marking hyperfocal distances (the focus point at which there is maximum depth of field for a given f-stop) on the lens barrel for quick non-focus-necessary shooting. It's a little tricky at first but may work out.

Hope yours works out.

Also - though the lens is a fisheye - it can also be 'corrected' or defished in a variety of (relatively easy) ways to make it appear as an UWC/Ultra Wide Angle, instead of the traditional fisheye view. Rather cool, really. Here's a partially defished image with a stereographic projection -

10434366026_9cd4acbb0a_b.
    Home by La Chachalaca FotografĂ­a, on Flickr

7. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Of the lenses I own, I feel like it's actually think it's focus ring has the best feel. It's not stiff, it's just well damped. So many of these focus by wire setups have no weight to them.

8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Mine is smooth but firm and turn quite easily.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Mine offers positive resistance but it's smooth and easy to turn with the finger and thumb of one hand. Sounds like yours could do with a service!

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, this is a year old thread... I have long since traded off my 7.5mm Rokinon FE lens :)

I did however pick up an 8mm FE from Rokinon for Fuji X mount since then, and it's still fairly stiff but not as much as the m4/3 version I had.