Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 is much more versatile than I thought it would be.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DeoreDX, Jun 16, 2016.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Everyone talks about how wide the angle of view is and how incredibly sharp the lens is. But until I bought my own copy I didn't realize how versatile the lens is.

So we all know the wide angle is great for shooting landscapes straight out.

But it is equally great shooting straight up.

Great for selfies.

Want that group portrait and don't want to lug out the tripod? It's great for that too.

How about some candid images?

It's great for action shots of automobiles too.

And last but not least, it's pretty awesome at Macro photography too.

Great addition to the bag. Wish I had picked it up sooner now.
    • Like Like x 21
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    It's a tiny but mighty beast! The only problem i have with it is my thumb showing up in the corner from time to time due to it being so tiny, wonderful lens though :)
    Great bang for your buck! Glad you enjoy it!
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ambi

ambi New to Mu-43

May 14, 2016
    Yeah, it's an amazing lens especially for the price. I use it for regular shots, defished wide angle shots and making spherical panoramas. One of my favorite lenses.
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I originally got mine as a fun toy to use on occasion but it has turned out to be way more then that. It has become my go to lens for wide angle stuff and it goes in my bag that I carry everywhere with me because it is so tiny (EM5, 17/2.8, 7.5, 40-150R). I have learned to predict how a shot will look if I de-fish it and also how to use it without de-fishing (playing to it's strengths).

Here is a shot that only a fisheye lens could have captured. There is a very small crop from me leveling the photo and no de-fishing at all.

by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    You can also have some fun with it with very up close shots.
    • Like Like x 6
  6. It really is a gem. Lets you stick the camera into places that not too many other lenses will go. Especially at the price. I'd really have a hard time finding a better lens to spend that money on. I'd always loved a good wide angle lens, but this one has become a favorite. And like at least one here, I'm also guilty of not watching my fingers. So easy with such a short design...and it's even easier if you happen to leave a grip on the camera. My only niggling issue is with the focusing ring...not that it gets used a lot. I tend to prefocus at about 4' using f4.0 or 5.6 and just run with that. But when you do want to try focusing on something else, or checking focus, the ring is pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of the lens. Makes me think about grabbing an old junker legacy and sawing off the ring to clamp over the existing one. Anyone got a small machine shop? But when you start looking at the images you forget all this. P6180192_v1.
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I use a wide blue elastic band from a bundle of broccoli to provide a better grip and highlight the focusing ring. Very compact, dirt cheap, and works great!
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    [​IMG]The Hotdog Vendor by Graham Moore, on Flickr
    SOOC. This lens has excellent sharpness, contrast and color transmission.
    (X-post from the Real Street II thread.)
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  9. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    This is actually a Bower 7.5, from a seller on this site. Corrected with a Bower 8mm lens profile. Notice the worker climbing down? Thanks RenaudVL bridge-7.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

This is genius!
  11. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Great use of this lens! Awesome shots
  12. rloewy

rloewy Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 5, 2014
    I have had mine for about a week now - and it is yet to leave my Air A01.

With the Air on a monopad - it goes into all kinds of interesting places for some interesting shots.
  13. soundsun

soundsun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    6th Street Bridge
    by Phil Calvert, on Flickr

Even-though I now have the Olympus 8mm fisheye I still like the Rokinon for it's size/weight. Also, since it's so cheap I don't worry about it so much and I'll take it places I wouldn't take the 8mm.
    • Like Like x 1