Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5 Fisheye

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by isabel95, Feb 9, 2012.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just got it yesterday and I love it - you have to set the camera to "shoot without lens". You have to use it manually - no problem!
    Here's one of my first efforts shown in three versions:
    6846411199_5731779730_o.
    Progression of a Fisheye Lens Fix by [url=http://www.flickr.com/p

• Like Like x 9
  2. isabel95

Some explanation of images above....

Fisheye Hemi is a Photoshop plugin that straightens out the vertical lines in fisheye image.

Mediachance ReDynaMix is a plug-in that brings out shadow detail, making what looks like an hdr image our of a single image.

Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Isabel,
    These photo's look very nice, good examples. Are these plugins available for Photoshop CS4? Thanks for posting.

4. isabel95

5. Landy

Landy Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2012
    I just got that lens (Well, the Samyang, but it's the same lens) and I'm very much enjoying it as well. Thanks for sharing!

6. isabel95

Hope you will share some images from it

It's fun to see how different people use a fisheye.

Isabel

7. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Very nice Isabel. I really like the lens as well. I've yet to try the Hemi plug-in but here's a "straightened" image from LR3 using the Nikon 10.5mm lens profile.

6738581539_52712607b7_b.

6741091989_76de965352_b.

• Like Like x 4
  8. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    LR3 preset for de-fishing

That's a very handy tip mnhoj - was it a straightforward process? Did the Nikon 10.5mm setting simply work, with no further tweaking required? I'm just starting to get to grips with LR3...

9. isabel95

Nice job on the straightening!

Good that you figured out you could use that lens profile!
    Isabel

10. isabel95

Suggestion for Fisheye Composition Ideas

one of my favorite photographers, "Eminilia" does incredible wedding work and often uses a fisheye.

Suggest you not only look through this gallery, but through as many of his wedding galleries as you have patience for. He is very talented.

alexandr_and_nastya Photo Gallery by eminilia at pbase.com

Isabel

• Like Like x 2
  11. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Yes. Straight forward and automatic. I think a 10-20% crop will remove the soft extremities and retain the original perspective. Pretty effective for a software trick IMO. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks. I used the same profile with my D7000 and 8mm Rokinon. It works a little better with the 7.5mm.

13. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Good thread. I really enjoy using this lens...it works nicely with HDR:

6852207755_2a1ace4440_z.

6852207829_b80c703046_z.

6852207701_709c8cf5b9_z.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore

• Like Like x 1
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Thank you for these great examples MNHOJ and your trick. I use LR3 and never tried the Lens correction profiles. I only shoot in Raw and use mostly Rokkor legacy lenses and occasionally a 50mm 1.2 canon FD and the Oly 14-42 MkII ยต4/3 lens. I was told i could make my own lens profiles , do you think i should try? Do lens profiles help? and do you know of a place online someone might have collected a LR3 lens profile database?

Also thanks for the info on the you examples. Its funny to see this because i always hear professional photographers and professors saying what a joke HDR is and how its just a gimmick for the pro-sumers and one professor called it "the current Photo Fad" and its just a photo that shows many different Tonal ranges but used by semi-amateurs that shoot only in Jpeg. That same Photography professor last year held a lecture and invited people who considered themselves proficient with HDR to come and bring their photos along with the original Raw files. During the lecture he showed how with one Raw file and Lightroom and photoshop you can achieve the same if not better image as the "Popular HDR method". He used one example he brought and then offered to demonstrate to people that brought theirs. It was funny because I hear professors Scoff about HRD all the time and how its mostly a jpg tool for the masses. I guess they were right. There were many people that had flash drive with examples but only one guy had the original RAW files, and even the One guy who brought raw files said, he only shot in raw+jpg this time to bring an example for this lecture, as he never usually does.
    The professor then showed how to process one of his Raw files to look like the HDR photo that the Audience member brought. After he did that lecture he told us (his students that semester) " OK now i never wanna here anyone use the term HDR again now that you know its crap. Say more dynamic range if you must, when talking about your photos."
    So its funny to me to see how this program you mention can also achieve it with one image. I always known that plug ins just make it easier to do what we can do manually with more time spent; its just neat to see this example coupled with my recent experiences.

Anyway I have been debating weather or not to get this fisheye lens or the 14mm panny as my next lens. I think i might be leaning towards this. Thanks for the post

• Like Like x 1
  16. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Well done!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Can anyone tell me if the micro four-thirds version of this lens has electrical connections for metering? In the APS-C version, the connections are there for some mounts (like Pentax) but not others.

18. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    no, it's all manual.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. isabel95

No, it doesn't but the histogram on both my E-PL1 and GH2 work so it's very simple to manually change the aperture on the lens.

When you use it on the GH2 you have to go into the menu and choose "Shoot without lens", but you don't have to make any changes with the E-PL1.

Isabel

Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  20. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Just wondering - does anyone know what the focal length equivalent of a fisheye straightened out using the LR3 (or similar) lens correction comes out to when using the 7.5mm fisheye?

Thanks!