1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Rokinon 50mm 1.2 - first thoughts and pics

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by madtownkeith, Apr 16, 2016.

1. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Picked up a new Rokinon 50mm 1.2 yesterday, and am absolutely loving this lens. I've had a couple other Rokinons over the years (the famous 85mm 1.4 and the fisheye), and they really make some outstanding glass.

This is my first "ultra" fast lens, and I can tell I'm going to really enjoy using this one. Love that the minimum focus distance is a relatively short 1.6 feet (compared to about 3 feet with the 85). Seems pretty easy to focus with focus peaking.

More to come, but a couple of requisite pet pics to get things started:

Daisy%20and%20Summer%20with%2050mm%20Rokinon-1-3815x2861. summer%20color-1-3815x2861.

• Like Like x 6
  2. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
  3. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    Good to know - thanks! I'll add a couple pics to that thread...

• Like Like x 1
  4. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    I need a new portrait lens and I'm considering this one. Following

5. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    Surprisingly little amount of reviews or excitement about this lens. I'm contemplating selling my 42.5 1.7 (which hasn't been seeing much use) for this lens... hmmm.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ironically I just returned my 50mm 1.2 and exchanged it for the 42.5 1.7...

7. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Interesting, can I ask why?

8. tkbslc

I really had high hopes, but it just didn't work out for me for a few reasons:
    1. It was bigger and heavier than I expected. It is heavier, longer and fatter than the 75mm f1.8 and 3x the weight of the 42.5m f1.7. I had the feeling it was going to get brought along a lot less than it should for that reason.
    2. Manual focus wasn't providing a good hit rate or good experience for me. I had a manual 50mm f1.8 already so I thought I knew what I was in for. But peaking doesn't even come close to being accurate at f1.2 and always having to bring up the magnifier box slowed things down way too much. Maybe I'm just spoiled with AF and face detection, but I hated throwing away at least half my images or missing stuff while I was trying to focus.
    3. And finally, the f1.2 aperture didn't really blow me away with how much extra it could blur backgrounds. It was more bg blur and thinner DOF, but it wasn't as drastic as I had hoped.

Optically it was awesome, but so is the 42.5mm f1.7 or 45mm f1.8. I just decided that I valued the modern features and light weight more than that stop of aperture.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I Love mine! See the Showcase for pics.

10. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    Regarding #2, do you think having a better EVF (like on my GX8) could make a difference? I guess I'd have to try it myself, Admittedly I've become quite comfortable with modern AF.

12. Generationfourth

Sep 11, 2015
    thanks those were good to watch but I'd really like to read reviews from MFT users as well.

13. tkbslc

I don't know, honestly. I do use the LCD as much as the EVF and I just wasn't getting a satisfactory hit rate with either. I don't think it was the EVF. I guess you could try it with your fast primes switched to manual focus mode, but keeping in mind that f1.2 at a longer focal length is going to have a significantly smaller sweet spot.

If you shoot portraits and candids alot, like I do, then the other annoyance is that you lose face metering. When you shoot face-detect AF, it also meters on the face. With MF you just get regular old metering over the whole scene. So in mixed lighting, you either need to use Exp Comp or spot meter on the faces to compensate.

Again, nothing "wrong" with the lens other than it's a manual lens that requires a more slowed down approach to shooting. For what it is, it is quite outstanding. I just quickly found that it wasn't my style and it gives up too many of my key reasons for switching to m4/3.

14. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I hear ya on all of your points. Those that you listed and a few of my own is why I still have my Nocticron (42.5 1.2), pl 15 1.7 and pl 25 1.4 instead of the Manuel Noktons. It's easy faster with face detection, nearest eye, AF, etc., but there is more of a connection I feel shooting in MF sometimes and working for the shot. Although trying to capture 2 little kids and my animals is less challenging with the modern lenses.

I had a 50 1.4 super takumar that I miss a bunch every now and then. Maybe in the future when my subjects change I'll switch.

After all we are just using tools to help us achieve our goals. In time our goals, needs, wants will change according to our next project(s) and adventures.

Happy shooting ;)

• Like Like x 1