1. All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Mu-43.com and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms

Rokinon 300mm f/6.3 Mirror Lens - $229

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by madogvelkor, Dec 10, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Groupon has the Rokinon 300mm f/6.3 lens for mirrorless cameras on sale for $229:
    http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-rokinon-300mm-f63-mirror-camera-lens

From what I've read this is a better quality lens than their various 500mm lenses. The biggest complaint seems to be that it needs a tripod, which might not be a problem for Olympus owners.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gearcrasher

gearcrasher New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2012
    Raleigh North Carolina
    I see Amazon has the Tokina 300mm reflex for $239. I know it has the electrical contacts for lens info. Not sure if the Rokinon has those. Years ago I enjoyed using a mirror. Flare and contrast is an issue unless you use the proper lens hood. Today's software could be a big help dealing with the odd Bokah.

3. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    Chicago
    The mirror lenses are less expensive and do ok, but I found the lack of contrast in pictures (flat looking, especially w/o bright sunlight) not worth it. Some post processing helps, but have to do it for majority of pictures I wanted to keep. Also the DOF you see is what you get, period.

4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The Tokina is supposedly very good for a mirror lens, not sure how it compares to the Rokinon though. Both are better than the 500mm lenses in the same price range.

5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Heck, the refurb Oly 75-300 isn't much more nowadays. That's a whole lot more versatility.

6. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Exactly. I looked into the 300mm lens but came to the conclusion that it was better to spend a little more and get one of the system zooms (Pany 100-300 or Oly 75-300). For an additional $125, get the Oly 75-300mm refurb for $355 shipped (see hotdeals). You get a faster lens, full autofocus, very usable telephoto zoom, and much better optics.

The Rokinon 300mm is a good option if you are cash strapped though.