Rokinon 300mm f/6.3 Mirror Lens - $229

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by madogvelkor, Dec 10, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Groupon has the Rokinon 300mm f/6.3 lens for mirrorless cameras on sale for $229:

From what I've read this is a better quality lens than their various 500mm lenses. The biggest complaint seems to be that it needs a tripod, which might not be a problem for Olympus owners.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gearcrasher

gearcrasher New to Mu-43

Oct 25, 2012
    Raleigh North Carolina
    I see Amazon has the Tokina 300mm reflex for $239. I know it has the electrical contacts for lens info. Not sure if the Rokinon has those. Years ago I enjoyed using a mirror. Flare and contrast is an issue unless you use the proper lens hood. Today's software could be a big help dealing with the odd Bokah.
  3. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    The mirror lenses are less expensive and do ok, but I found the lack of contrast in pictures (flat looking, especially w/o bright sunlight) not worth it. Some post processing helps, but have to do it for majority of pictures I wanted to keep. Also the DOF you see is what you get, period.
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The Tokina is supposedly very good for a mirror lens, not sure how it compares to the Rokinon though. Both are better than the 500mm lenses in the same price range.
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Heck, the refurb Oly 75-300 isn't much more nowadays. That's a whole lot more versatility.
  6. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Exactly. I looked into the 300mm lens but came to the conclusion that it was better to spend a little more and get one of the system zooms (Pany 100-300 or Oly 75-300). For an additional $125, get the Oly 75-300mm refurb for $355 shipped (see hotdeals). You get a faster lens, full autofocus, very usable telephoto zoom, and much better optics.

The Rokinon 300mm is a good option if you are cash strapped though.