Rokinon 16mm f2.0 $299

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Feb 26, 2014.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Fast manual focus prime:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-16mm-F2-0-Ultra-Wide-Angle-Lens/351010380208?

This is a more interesting lens for the APS-C crowd because it offers the equivalent of 24mm. For mu43, the 32mm equivalency is much less exciting. Still, this lens normally sells for $449 at places like BH Photo so this is a very good price and f2.0 makes it somewhat attractive.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is a great price! It is kind of a big lens for m4/3. I would recommend to anybody who wants it to get it in either Nikon or Canon mount and then get an good adaptor{better resale value later if needed}. It would allow it to be mounted via Speedbooster which would give an 11.5mm f1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Excellent suggestions! The speedbooster makes it a very attractive lens.

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I got my 17mm 1.8 brand new from Olympus (with rebate) for $350. Why would anyone want to by a slower manual focus lens for $300?

5. Well, if you're shooting video, you may hold manual focus as an essential thing but it depends on the shooter. But remember that this would in most cases result in a 24mm result on the u43 format so your wider, and faster lens may still kill this one in our world. Also, the Oly 17 has a great manual focus clutch ring (I have one on my Oly 12) that would pull focus manually extremely well so I can see your point!!

6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    This lens is actually 32mm FF wise instead of 35mm of Oly. The difference is very little. I do some video shooting and when I want to shift focus smoothly from one subject to another I do it via focus clutch ring, which is extremely convenient. Then if I want to nail focus very fast I clutch it back, autofocus, then back to manual focus and do the shift. The 17mm 1.8 is an excellent lens and even now is often sold for $360. Just don't understand the price for the rokkinon version.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The price is because it's designed as an APS-C lens. I don't know of any other way to get that wide and fast on APS-C. 24mm EFL and f/2.0 aperture make it unique. For m4/3 obviously, things are different.

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, the lens is something of an afterthought for MFT. It was made first for APS-C cameras, and the MFT mount thrown on by Rokinon because they were already making versions for other mirrorless cameras.

I could see it being bought by people using Blackmagic cameras. The MFT mount version of the cinema camera only has a passive mount, so you need a completely mechanical lens, both aperture and focusing. Even focus-by-wire won't work.

9. Capture01

Capture01 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2013
    That was some good information i could use. thanks heaps. Helped alot :)