Rokinon 16mm f2.0 $299

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by snaimpally, Feb 26, 2014.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Fast manual focus prime:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rokinon-16mm-F2-0-Ultra-Wide-Angle-Lens/351010380208?

This is a more interesting lens for the APS-C crowd because it offers the equivalent of 24mm. For mu43, the 32mm equivalency is much less exciting. Still, this lens normally sells for $449 at places like BH Photo so this is a very good price and f2.0 makes it somewhat attractive.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is a great price! It is kind of a big lens for m4/3. I would recommend to anybody who wants it to get it in either Nikon or Canon mount and then get an good adaptor{better resale value later if needed}. It would allow it to be mounted via Speedbooster which would give an 11.5mm f1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Excellent suggestions! The speedbooster makes it a very attractive lens.

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    I got my 17mm 1.8 brand new from Olympus (with rebate) for $350. Why would anyone want to by a slower manual focus lens for $300?

5. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Well, if you're shooting video, you may hold manual focus as an essential thing but it depends on the shooter. But remember that this would in most cases result in a 24mm result on the u43 format so your wider, and faster lens may still kill this one in our world. Also, the Oly 17 has a great manual focus clutch ring (I have one on my Oly 12) that would pull focus manually extremely well so I can see your point!!

6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    This lens is actually 32mm FF wise instead of 35mm of Oly. The difference is very little. I do some video shooting and when I want to shift focus smoothly from one subject to another I do it via focus clutch ring, which is extremely convenient. Then if I want to nail focus very fast I clutch it back, autofocus, then back to manual focus and do the shift. The 17mm 1.8 is an excellent lens and even now is often sold for $360. Just don't understand the price for the rokkinon version.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The price is because it's designed as an APS-C lens. I don't know of any other way to get that wide and fast on APS-C. 24mm EFL and f/2.0 aperture make it unique. For m4/3 obviously, things are different.

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, the lens is something of an afterthought for MFT. It was made first for APS-C cameras, and the MFT mount thrown on by Rokinon because they were already making versions for other mirrorless cameras.

I could see it being bought by people using Blackmagic cameras. The MFT mount version of the cinema camera only has a passive mount, so you need a completely mechanical lens, both aperture and focusing. Even focus-by-wire won't work.

9. Capture01

Capture01 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 24, 2013
    That was some good information i could use. thanks heaps. Helped alot :)