Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 with Novoflex Nikon-MFT adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by m43man, Oct 12, 2012.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Unable to afford the Panasonic 7-14mm or 12-35mm in the meantime, I purchased the Novoflex Nikon to MFT adapter so I can use my Nikon lenses on EM5.

But I've been having a weird issue with either Rokinon 14mm or Novoflex (most likely caused by Rokinon?). On all my other Nikon lenses I tested (Zeiss 21mm, and Nikon 28, 50, 85 and 105), the Novoflex adapter correctly opens and closes the aperture of attached lenses, allowing the control of aperture via aperture ring on the lens itself or using the continuous lever on the Novoflex adapter.

However, the Rokinon 14mm doesn't seem to reduce its internal "iris" size past f/5.6 when used with the Novoflex adapter. Basically, setting the Rokinon lens aperture smaller than f/5.6 or turning the aperture lever on Novoflex all the way to smallest position does not reduce the size of the iris that seems to be "stuck" at f/5.6.

I wonder if anyone with the Rokinon 35mm and 85mm, or other manual lenses is seeing similar characteristicses. Did I get a bad copy of the Rokinon lens?

2. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Further testing reveals that even without the Novoflex adapter attached, the iris of the Rokinon 14mm would not change once the aperture is dialed past 5.6 and sometimes its iris doesn't even move at all regardless of the aperture settings.

B&H agrees with me that the lens is defective, so it's on its way back for an exchange. Hopefully this is not an indication of quality control (or the lack of it) on all Rokinon lenses. I guess I should report back whether replacement unit works when I do receive it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you just got a lemon.

That Rokinon lens is made by SamYang of South Korea and they have a great reputation. I don't have that particular lens but the Samyangs I have work fine. Right now I am debating about getting their cine style lenses with no-click T-stop aperture and geared focus rings. I do both photography and video so they would be nice.

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I too, have a Rokinon and can attest to its quality and durability. I am definitely going to acquire more of their product, probably an 85. You must have received a bad copy. You mentioned B&H, did it come to you by mail, if so I'd put the blame on the shipper...fragile to then is fragillly( an unknown foreign term pronounced with an Italian/Latin origin).

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:rofl: 122208lampleg.

Yep shippers suck! B&H is pretty good about fixing issues with orders, thank God.

6. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    isn't the Novoflex adapter about the same price new as a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 lens - which I would bet gives better results than the Rokinon/Samyang, and focusses all by itself? :eek:

7. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Update: Finally received my replacement unit from B&H (delayed due to hurricane), it works beautifully without any issues like before.

8. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yea, good question. Wish I had access to a Panasonic 14mm to do a side by side
    comparison since both options give the same FOV.