Rokinon 100mm f/2.8 macro available for pre-order

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Not sure how that is any better then my wonderful Lester Dine 105mm that I paid half that price for. There are a number of legacy macros that I am sure are better optically then this for less money.
  3. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    You can buy Vivitar 90mm 2.8 1:1 made by Komine ( sn.28xxx ) in mint con. for max 100 eur - you will get better lens, smaller and lighter weight ( 480g )

"This well regarded Komine made (serials 28xxxxx) macro lens is distinct from the similar but Tokina made (37xxxxx) ones. Essentially the same lens can be found marked both f2.5 and f2.8 (and the Panagor as f3).

Aperture range: f2.8 - 22
    Optical construction: 6 elements, 4 groups
    Angle of view: 27 degrees
    Weight: 480 g (17 oz.)
    Length: 89 mm (3.5 in.)
    Filter size: 62 mm
    Lens coating: MC (multicoated)
    Minimum focusing distance from front element: 14.5 cm (5.7 in.)
    Maximum reproduction ratio: 1:1 without adapters or other extenders"
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    How can you be sure when no one has even seen this lens yet?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Based on the optical quality of their other lenses. While their quality is good, it is not top end quality. In my opinion the Lester Dine is better than the Canon 100mm L lens I sold when I switched to Olympus. I seriously do not think this $500 lens is as good as Canon L glass or a lot of the top end old manual focus lenses.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing other companies make m4/3 lenses and wish some of the other companies would. This will appeal to people who do not want to use adapters but want a greater reach macro lens then the Oly macro.
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would bet the optics are great on the Samyang. It is just that it is a DSLR designed lens. They just build the m4/3 adapter into the body for the m4/3 version. Even if you did decide to buy this, you should buy Canon/Nikon version with an adapter because it will be 10x easier to resell. And then once you start talking adapters, there is, what, 50 years of macro primes to choose from? Some for $100 or less, even.
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I was intrigued, but then immediately put off by the comparison between my Sigma 90mm/2.8 macro, which is compact (52mm filter), light (350g), and only cost me $100 New Old Stock (admittedly it usually goes for twice that). It's also the sharpest lens I own. It needs a diopter to reach 1:1 though, whereas I guess this does it by itself.

Honestly, my expectation is that the Rokinon will be optically superb. But much too bulky and heavy for my needs.