Roger Cicala on disruptive technologies

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave Reynell, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

• Like Like x 3
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YEA! Mirrorless is disruptive!:biggrin:
  3. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
  4. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Interesting article by Roger - thanks to the OP!

I too read the Thom Hogan article above only today, and was about to post a link but Serhan beat me to it...

5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Future - who knows? I must however say that I found Roger Cicala to be one of the rare internet voices that puts facts behind statements. Mirrorless is for sure a step ahead of DSLR tech - I tried some friend's ones and would never accept the downgrade to OVF, let alone the bulk of the bodies/lenses. FF mirrorless? Not so sure. I really believe m43 is in a sweet spot of size/IQ, I am just not sure it will become dominant/prominent. One thing is sure though - even APS design has lenses that are too big to be handy, let alone FF.

There will always be someone using medium format, 35mm size sensors, but not the average amateur photographer I believe.

Just my 2c...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    These are both excellent articles. I especially liked Thom's. For me, it's clear that some massive consolidation is due. I can't imagine Canon and Nikon going anywhere, but the whole mirrorless market needs shaking out. I think Thom's right about the lenses being analogous to 'apps' and right now u43 has the best range of apps; and it's expanding all the time. Fuji and Sony are trying real hard to catch up, but in the end it'll come to down to economics as to who will survive.
  7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Interesting, although no mention of the light field camera, which is still in the equivalent stage of that reel-to-reel video recorder at present with the Lytro model.
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, I thought Cicalla's article was really interesting for the history lesson, but it fell short in the soothsaying.
  9. Jeff1:1

Jeff1:1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 2, 2013
    No mention of price point (lower than when first comes out) and when other technologies need to be in line. Imagine your M4/3 camera files space usage on a ten+ year old hard drive. That 32GB card would fill it in a few transfers.
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Excellent article!
  11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    possibly because the Lytro is a clever solution looking for a problem... People want sharp photographs... not a way to define the sharpness after the event, which while clever isn't what people want.

smaller sensors, higher iso and better autofocus are more likely to provide the solution to the problem of sharp photos than the lytro

I am sure the light field technology will have uses... just not in a consumer camera

just an opinion... open to discussion, debate and enlightenment

12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    This is an important consideration with the up take of technology, after all photography first became popular with the advent of kodaks low cost box cameras. The same with domestic video recorders, the cost of them in the 70's was extremely high, then came VHS and availability to rent at a reasonable rate. With the move to digital again it was not until low cost and reasonable quality merged that people went for it. When I was doing my city and guilds, I was laughed at (96) when I said one day it will be the main medium, they thought it would always be hyper expensive and low quality. Its the people that make tech affordable and useable who do well, its no use having some great thing if no one can afford it or use it.
  13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Thank for sharing. I enjoyed reading both articles.

As for light field camera, I agree with James that it could potentially be a disruptive technology, with Lytro being the first mover, but with an unattractive/unrefined product. Which is why Apple was so interested in buying the company a while ago... I can totally imagine this technology being found on every cellphone over the next decade or so because of the convenience of not having to worry about focus and, quite frankly, most of my friends who use a cellphone to capture images have no clue about properly focus a shot. All they care about is capturing the moment and sharing on their social media... Of course, there could be other applications that we fail to see today. BTW, the more photographers snicker at this technology, the more convinced I am that this IS a disruptive technology...