Rock Pools in Sussex with the 7-14mm and filters

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by sam_m, Apr 22, 2013.

1. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Couple of shots taken in the South Coast of England at a place called Birling gap, Only went down here to have a look around as it wasnt the greatest of weather, then a sudden break in the clouds made everything look more interesting. Fortunately I had the OMD at hand and the adapted rubber hood with Lee Big Stopper and a Hitech Hard Grad attached, I grabbed a few snaps.

8670674499_93ce25d4b8_b.
    Rock Pool by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

8670651283_d3614a6798_b.
    The Eye by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

and me getting wet whilst capturing the images...

[​IMG]

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lovely shots.

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great set of images, thanks for sharing

4. poisson rouge

poisson rouge Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Great job :tiphat:

5. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Like the photo's, very nice and cool surroundings. I would have made the sky a bit lighter, the contrast between sky and sea is a bit high for my taste.

btw can you show a photo of your filter diy on the 7-14?

Cheers!

6. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
  7. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Cool and thanks! More fine photo's on your flickr stream. I'm not that active anymore on flickr. But will follow you! ;-)

8. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Spectacular photos! Thanks for sharing them.

9. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    that is awesome ! congrats. i am guessing the filter used was a ND filter? and also i keep seeing images from the 7-14 and i am almost putting that next on my list, even though i have a 12mm 2.0.... i know you probably dont use this lens much, but when you do, what are your thoughts?

10. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I must have missed this post, yes its a lee Big Stopper which is a 10stop filter aswell as a hitech Hard Grad ND filters... The lens itself I do use a fair bit, and its beautifully built, fairly bulky if comparing to a prime or even the 9-18mm, but nothing excessive. I can still get it in a jacket pocket without any issues. Optically its outstanding. There is a purple flare issue on OMD cameras, but too be honest, I didnt notice it being an issue at all with these shots, whether the filters played a part in supressing this, I am not sure, but its probably likely. I havent found it to be a big deal though when I do get the flare, easy enough to remove in post processing. Downside it is very expensive, probably more than it needs to be, but nothing at the moment compares to it, the 9-18mm is great, but that extra 2mm really does make quite a bit of difference.

Couple more images converted to B&W, cant decide which I prefer so uploaded both...

8680738760_1d4bae156a_b.
    Birling Gap by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

Birling Gap by Sam_C_Moore, on Flickr

11. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Awesome - Can you provide some more detail about how you adapted the holder? Is that a 4" filter holder or a larger size? Surprised there is not significant vignetting in the corners.

12. rdoe

rdoe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Hi Sam,

I ordered the "Rubberhood was a 58mm lens hood from Crooked Imaging on ebay." As per your flickr stream, but I have probably a different one. Do you still have the link or specs....

13. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Hi Peter, if you click on the flickr embedded image above you`ll see more details of what I did. Yes its a 4" filter holder, and no vigneting at all, you have to line up the filter almost perfectly though otherwise one side can catch very slightly, but its never really a problem, its such a good fit and doesnt move around once on, you can remove and change filters without it moving. I know there have been a few people adapting rubber hoods, but what I liek about this is you just pull of the glued on screw on ring and thats it, no cutting required. As soon as I turned the hood inside out the ring pulled off really easily, but the 52mm version I had was more difficult, so I guess some do vary in terms of how well they are glued on.

Hi Rdoe, this was the actual one I bought... Kood 58mm 58 Universal Rubber Lens Hood - Fits Digital Camera - Screw Mount - UK | eBay and on their website... http://www.crookedimaging.co.uk/kru...-hood-fits-digital-camera-screw-mount-uk.html showing not in stock at the moment. I imagine that anyone that lists the Kood 58mm Rubber Hood will be the same.

14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    To be honest, the first two are good compositions but the skies are too heavy for my taste. However, the two B&W are right up my street, with even better compositions and a lovely, delicate rendering of the light. I'm sure that many will disagree with me and prefer the colour pictures, but you have something for everyone here! :smile:

15. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Man that's nice! I'll take the color ones myself -- but I love color, lol.

16. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Goldenlight, thanks and completely fair points, its always very interesting to get feedback from people and photography is so subjective, but I like that. I would tend to agree also I probably used a too strong Grad ND filter, and I will keep that in mind the next time I take a photo like this.

Also the liveview bulb option on the OMD really makes these long exposure images a joy to do. I have started using this feature alot.

17. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Fantastic shots!

18. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Those are wonderful. Thanks. Hmmmm might have to think about getting one of those in the absence of any ultra wide prime.

19. lala

lala Mu-43 Rookie

May 22, 2013
    Lovely images! I have the Lee seven5 and big stopper for same will this work for the 7-14?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

20. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Nice shots!

I do notice a bit of purple in the sun and cloud regions. I wonder if this is from the OMD sensor or the hitech filters?