Rock Climbing in Joshua Tree (video)

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Nathanael, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    This is a running thread of my videos. The video described in the title is at the END of the thread.

The video sub-forum is dead.
    Ok not really.
    But I'm always surprised at how active mu-43.com is in general, and then in contrast how there's almost no video getting shared or discussed. Probably there's some m43videoforum.com out there somewhere.

Anyways, I decided to try to learn how to do shoot/edit video, so I've been making short youtube videos for the fun of it. I'll post them here.

Here's one. Riding my skateboard with coffee in one hand, EM10 in the other, and a bag full of primes over the shoulder. Used Pan 14mm, PL25mm, and Oly 45mm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016 at 3:11 AM
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Came home to see some nice clouds and the sun about to set, so I grabbed the camera and jogged up the street to the hills where I go running. Did some short hyperlapses, my first attempt at those. It was easier than I expected. No tripod, no measuring, no timer, very un-scientific approach. Mainly because it was a race to get footage before the light was gone. Just take a photo, take a step, repeat. But with a bit of stabilization in after effects, the footage turned out pretty decent. With a bit more care it could be even better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I really like that effect of you traveling a trail, nice work. I'm going to have to give that a try sometime.

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Do it! I watched a bunch of tutorials on YouTube where people bring measuring tape and a tripod and mark of distances and all that. Which seemed painful. But you can get great results just handheld, and warp stabilizer can really clean it up nicely. I didn't even take the camera off my eye, just hold the framing and shuffle along.

5. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

A short try attempt at some stop motion. I want to do a longer stop motion project at some point, so I thought I'd try out some ideas on short clip. Did a little music video style thing for a line from Bon Iver's new album. Took about an hour, maybe a bit more with brainstorming and everything. Was coming up with the ideas as I went. Used some old 4x6" prints that I had lying around.

Used the "Cascable" wifi app for the E-M10 (works a bit better than Olympus-share in my opinion) and 25mm f1.4 on an inverted tripod. Went pretty smooth, I think with a bit more planning I could make a shoot like this move a lot faster.

• Like Like x 2
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I like these!
    Does Youtube give you licensing troubles for the music?

7. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Not really. If you use copyrighted music then they can put ads on it and the money (fractions of a cent for these) goes to the artist/label. But it does everything automatically so you can basically just ignore it and do whatever you want. The one problem is it can be limited internationally with certain labels.

8. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

Super happy with how this turned out, and had a lot of fun making it. It turned out a bit long (16 minutes!) but you can skip to the hiking/canyon around 5:00 if you want.

Went with 22 people from my work to hike "Rim to Rim" in the Grand Canyon. Basically you start on one side (north rim in our case), then hike all the way down to the river, across the canyon, and then up the other side, all in one day. It's about 24 miles and something like 6,000 vertical feet. We had our bus drive around to the other side to pick us up. I was pretty beat by the end, but completed it in a bit over 10 hours. First time I've tried doing video on a hike like this. Definitely slows you down a bit, but it was manageable.

I bought an external recorder (Zoom H1) in an attempt to improve my audio without upgrading my camera (EM10 doesn't have a mic input). It arrived a day before the trip, and so I was still learning as I went, some clipped audio and bad mic placement, etc. Sewed a dead cat for it and built a shock mount as well. We'll see how it goes. Stitching the audio together in post is quite a hassle for this casual run and gun style shooting. So I could definitely see some benefit in switching to camera with a mic input.

I brought a little shoulder bag and a bunch of primes. I don't actually own a zoom, not even a kit, but I think I would use one instead of bringing all these lenses. I brought a 7.5mm, 25mm, and 45mm and used them all. The PL 25mm was crucial for those late night/early morning shots, the fisheye gives a great sense of the scale, and the 45mm gave some reach. In the end they are pretty light though, so can't complain that much. Just kept the bag at the ready to swap lenses on the fly.

Anyways, thanks for watching. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    The one sad part of the hike was that I dropped my camera+7.5mm and got a scratch/chip right in the middle of the front element. Camera is fine though. You can see some weird flaring from it in the video. The lens is completely unusable stopped down (huge black blob), but wide open it's still decent if you can keep the sun off of it. A bit of a bummer, but I guess that's how it goes. No camera strap and I think I was jogging with it in my hand while fumbling with my external recorder or something. Hahah I guess I was asking for trouble.

30169901012_e9e96bd76f_c. IMG_0217 by Nathanael Myton, on Flickr

• Sad Sad x 1
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Congrats on completing great hike!
    Grand Canyon has also claimed my 12-32mm lens - I slipped and fell with camera in hand. Lens barrel internals broke, though CPL filter survived without any scratch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

A quick video from midweek. A drive up Glendora Mountain Road to catch the sunset. Some mix of driving, stills, and timelapse. Edited to a song that may not be everyone's cup of tea but whatever, it's what was inspiring me that night.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

Disclaimer: It's a vlog. A video blog. A video diary. It's not really art, just fun. But please feel free to weigh in if you feel like this generation needs get over themselves and stop obsessing over sharing their lives on social media.

Filmed with EM10 and 14mm f2.5. Wished I had brought the external microphone, the audio is a bit sad.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

Some friends came to visit so we explored a bit of SoCal. Downtown LA, the beach (camera took a swim :( ), saw Bon Iver in the Hollywood Bowl (WOW), and went climbing and camping in Joshua Tree (crazy thunderstorm!). A bunch of iPhone 6 footage mixed in. Even some vertical footage (sometimes your friends don't know better). But in the end you know, maybe that's fine. Trying to focus on learning how to tell a story and to resist the GAS to get a new camera with a better bitrate or 4K and a zoom lens and a proper mic and replacements for all the stuff that went for a swim etc etc etc. When really in the end it's not about the gear.. (but I will give in eventually and upgrade the gear ;) )

Filmed with EM10, 14mm f2.5, 25mm f1.4, 7.5mm f3.5

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Well I fixed my camera and my lens after the swim. As seen in this thread. Which means another video. :)

A popular hiking challenge for southern California hikers is called the six-pack peaks. It's 6 peaks of incremental difficulty in the SoCal area, each hike is 10-15 miles round trip and 4-6,000 feet elevation gain. The goal being to, over the course of a year, day hike all 6. The challenge fun for it's own sake or as training for bigger and longer hikes elsewhere.

Well basically, I've hiked most of peaks but never did #1 Mt Wilson (the easiest), so this Saturday I did that. It's about 14 miles round trip. Mt Wilson it just north of LA so I decided to spend the evening exploring and filming downtown. Covered another 4-5 miles on my skateboard haha. Legs pretty sore the next day after all that.

Had some fun learning some new transition effects for this one. Anyways, enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    A bit of a laugh making this one. Was going to just be a little clip about my friend's car, but ended up with a bunch of goofy B-roll and stuff so made this instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Tywais

Tywais Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    Mike
    Decided to put something in here though not terribly exciting. One of the first video attempts with my GH2 and 14-140. Bought it with the idea I would do some videography. Never happened due to the amount of time to storyboard and produce one so stuck with doing photos. :)

17. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    If you can shoot this well with a very modest DSLR, you will be dangerous with a pro video camera!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    Coool.

19. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Haha interesting

Too kind :) Only problem is I probably wouldn't be so reckless filming while skateboarding, climbing, etc if I had a nicer camera

20. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015

Not really a showcase of any camera quality or filming/editing skills. Just some footage of me doing my other hobby, rock climbing. It does illustrate how nice it would be to have a 4k camera though, I could (digitally) zoom in a lot more without sacrificing quality.

• Like Like x 2