Rochester, Kent

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by CUB, Apr 20, 2012.

1. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Some images of Rochester, Kent taken with my Panasonic G3 and an Olympus 9-18mm lens. Constructive comments welcomed.

1. College Gate and Castle, Rochester

2. Rochester Castle, Kent

Background from Wikipedia:
    Rochester, Kent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rochester is a town and former city in Kent, England. It is located within the unitary authority area of Medway and is at the lowest bridging point of the River Medway about 30 miles (48 km) from London. The town is known for its cathedral and castle, and for an epic siege in 1215.

The town was for many years the favourite of Charles Dickens who lived nearby at Gads Hill Place, Higham, and who based many of his novels in the area. Descriptions of the town appear in Pickwick Papers , Great Expectations and lightly fictionalised as Cloisterham in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Restoration house located on Crow Lane was the house on which Charles Dickens based Miss Havisham's (from Great Expectations) house, Satis House. This link is celebrated in Rochester's Dickens Festival each June in the Summer Dickens Festival and December with the Dickensian Christmas Festival.
  2. Les

Les New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for posting the pics and some history. The first photo - my first thought was "openings." Whether it be openings in a castle, windows on buildings, and whatever the technical name would be for the opening below the structure on the left.

Interestingly, on the white building there is a window where it appears the "opening" has been blocked off.
  3. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Well spotted! Bricked-up windows are very common in England as a result of property owners avoiding the Window Tax. The relevant law was repealed long ago and replaced by fairer taxes based on income and, later, property values, but many windows remain bricked up today:
    Window tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will post some more images of Rochester when I get the chance.
  4. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    But it was also an architectural fad ...
  5. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

True, it looks like it became something of a fad after the Window Tax was abolished. There are quite a few new houses in the Medway Towns (which includes Rochester) that have been build with "bricked-up windows".

Here's another image from my visit to Rochester:

3. Crest on gate, Rochester Cathedral, Panasonic G3 with Olympus 45mm f/1.8 taken at f/4

6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Another image.

4. Rochester's Corn Exchange which dates from 1706. Panasonic G3, Olympus 45mm f/1.8 taken at f/5.6.