1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Robiro's Color Settings for GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Apr 23, 2012.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

If you own both an Olympus micro 43rds cameras as well as the GH2, you've probably experienced the jpg color letdown from the GH2 - especially with regard to skin color.

On a trip home from Charleston, I was reading the micro 43 forum on dpreview and came across this response to a thread where the starter said he had given up on the GH2.

I had the camera in the camera with me and changed to Robiro's settings and shot a picture of my husband and was astounded at the gorgeous skin color and how accurate it seemed to be - at least pleasant to look at, which I couldn't say about the gh2 skin colors I've been experiencing.

Here's his message: Robiro's GH2 color settings

"As a GH2 owner, here is my solution.

Keep the camera at +2/3 EV compensation, film mode: Vibrant, Intelligent resolution: High, I. Dynamic: High

With JPEGs, the camera will underexpose nearly all shots, even at +2/3 EV. This needs to be corrected in post-processing (Curves adjust). Also, all shots must be white balanced. That is a must (to get rid of nasty yellowish-greenish cast).

Keep the histogram always on. Whenever you see that only 60-70% of the dynamic range is used, keep increasing +EV compensation until you hit about 90% dynamic range usage.

Problem is that what you see in a viewfinder is NOT how JPEGs actually look like. The camera optimises what you see in the viewfinder. A horrible habit.

A few by GH2 with CPL filter on (all were JPGs, postprocessed, no RAW)"

My solution: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Isabel

• Like Like x 3
  2. Nameer

Nameer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2012
    UK
    Thanks for sharing this tip, I'll give it a go.

3. isabel95

Please let us know what you think of these settings, Nameer.

Isabel

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been playing with the color settings and Vibrant definitely produces some of the nicest baseline images to my eye, when going for a more punchy look out of camera. However I'm finding that I frequently need to tweak WB and exposure individually per shot, and if I'm going to be doing post I may as well shoot in RAW to begin with.

5. isabel95

I agree that I have to tweak, but I think it's a good starting point. I shoot in both raw and jpg and the raws look very good - in fact, I think, better than the jpgs - they always seem to! It was the skin color with these settings that I found very pleasing. I'll have to test the settings on various skin colors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Curious as to what you all process your raw files with?

7. isabel95

Currently using Adobe Camera Raw 7 with the CS6 beta.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Very cool. I've not tried CS6 yet. How do you like it? Since you shoot both raw + jpeg do you think that its possible to make a preset to bring the raws to baseline color matching those of the jpeg settings mentioned in this thread?

9. isabel95

I like CS6

There's been quite a change to the crop tool and initially I wasn't thrilled with it, but I changed it to the optional "Classic" setting and it's better for me.

In general, CS5 was kind of pokey for me and certain things didn't display because I only have 4 gb of ram. CS6 is more responsive and generally peppier.

Camera Raw 7 has the same development engine as that in Lightroom 4. I like it.

You may want to watch the CS6 videos on YouTube to check out the new features.

As to whether Camera Raw can be set to match the color settings mentioned in this thread - that may be possible for people who are used to making custom profiles. I find the jpg color is a little strange so I wouldn't want to have a setting for it, but the raws look better and require just a very small amount of tweaking.

I was very happy with the skin color I got in the two images I tried with those settings...and it's skin color that is my main concern. The Oly e-pl1 color spoiled me.

Isabel

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thank you Isabel.

I just did a senior grad announcement shot with the E-P3 and GH2. In comparison, the GH2 exposed about a stop under and white balance was much cooler. I shoot RAW with LR presets and it works out pretty well but I'm going to give this a shot.

11. isabel95

What do you mean by LR presets?

Let us know how Robiro's settings work for you.

Isabel

12. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Lightroom allows you to copy your settings to the preset menu for a one click adjust. HSL, contrast, sharpening, etc. You can assign on import but I usually have two or three that I regularly use and apply to taste.

I will.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. isabel95

I believe I can do the same thing with Adobe Camera Raw

You're welcome!
    Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  14. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Got a chance to try the settings and I like them but I'll stick to RAW. I like spending the time with my images and RAW is MORE. :smile:

I think the plus 2/3 exposure and nailing WB is the key. Otherwise not really a whole lot of difference.

Here's a few with Robiro's settings. Slight crops but otherwise sooc with LR4 to zenfolio.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    100E/M2

• Like Like x 1