Robin Wong's South Africa 300mm F4 samples

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I wish there were decent lens rental services in Germany. I don't have enough use for this lens to buy one and will get a P100-300 which will have to be good enough. It would be really amazing to rent this lens for trips though...
  2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Maybe try and aim for a optically-sound, beaten P100-300 and then see if the 300/4 isn't worth your money I the long run?

I had a O75-300 for some time and once this was announced, sold it immediately: of some 800 shots I took with it, ~700 were at 300.

(The remaining focal lengths are now covered by a 40-150PRO+TC1.4)
  3. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    I have close to no use for this lens, but wow that is one nice lens. If it wasnt more than USD 3000 in Denmark I could see myself getting into telephotography
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    My wallet is still recovering from the 40-150 that I just purchased. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Same here and thanks God the 75mm F1.8 really worth to fight i mean to buy for :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm looking through how many times I use the 40-150 pro and its not enough to buy this lens... on paper! But I'll keep an eye on the Olympus Outlet.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I wanted to buy the 40-150 a year ago for a big trip but decided to bring my 40-150 "plastic fantastic" instead. The images were acceptable, but mostly out of reach so I cannot fault the lens. This year I was fortunate enough to take a similar trip and decided to buy the 40-150 after considering my options. I have only had a chance to view the embedded jpegs since we just got home, but early results have started to put a big smile on my face. Buying an expensive lens is sometimes a bit of a gamble, but I think that this may be worth lightening my wallet.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Had the same dilemma, and while the 40-150 Pro isn't 9-10x better as the price would indicate, it is still a marvel for the price. The shots I am getting from action sports are so crisp, contrasty and sharp that I am willing to deal with the extra size and weight. Also shot video at a kids stage performance where the large aperture at 150mm was essential.

This 300 f/4 is unreal though. Definitely a rental for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's a funny response from Robin in the comment section where someone says that he thought a lot of the images were taken from too close to the animals:

Robin Wong: South Africa Wildlife Shooting with Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS PRO Lens

"I think if I was on a trip with a group of photographers all using similar focal length, it is easier to communicate with the jeep ranger and have us positioned in ideal shooting distance to make full use of the 300mm focal length. It was not a photography trip, and I had very limited chance to use the 300mm lens too."

I can just imagine a carload of photogs wielding big telephoto lenses screaming at their driver, "Reverse, reverse! We're too close! We need to get further away from the animals."
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Looks like a superb lens but, like others, I just can't see the use for it other than specialty work. On our recent Africa Safari, I admit that a LOT of pics were taken at 300mm with the 75-300 but a lot of them weren't and a zoom was really vital. There were many times that we were much too close for a fixed 300 to be useable. But it would be fabulous as part of a gaggle of cameras (3, I guess) with the other two having a 12-40 and 40-150 lenses mounted. Before we went to Africa, I was concerned about carrying multiple cameras but found that since everything is done in a vehicle, having a bunch of cameras doesn't really matter; it's not like you have to "carry" them. I have to say that the 12-40 and the 75-300 were an excellent pair for our trip. BUT, if we were to do it again...I'd probably buy the 300, the 40-150 Pro and another M1! ;)

But we aren't going again so I'll be saving a lot of money!
    • Like Like x 1