1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Robin Wong shares his post processing workflow

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JamieW, Jan 25, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Robin Wong is an Olympus employee, blogger, street photographer, E-M5 shooter, and all around nice guy. His blog is largely responsible for my decision to move from Canon to Olympus.

The images he shares are always very high quality, and I've been very impressed with his post processing since I first found his blog. This morning he shared a screencast of his post processing workflow.

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/2014/01/my-post-processing-for-blogging-purposes.html

• Like Like x 15
  2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Robin is the man.

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I consider him one of our national treasures, along with the great Ming Thien - who also shoots mirrorless cameras, amongst others :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I was interested to see he used Olympus Viewer to give his RAW files that Oly JPG punch. Do people find that works for them too ?
    I've been trying to do the same in Aperture and failing.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I was a big fan until he announced his employment by Olympus. I no longer think his reviews are realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm not sure what you mean by realistic. I think I get what you mean though, biased opinions and such. Still, I'd rather him be up front about it then hide it. What I like is that he shoots on the gear, and shares his results. He tells you what lenses he uses, and you can see the results on the screen. His opinion doesn't play a factor in this exchange.

I've exchanged a few messages with him on his Facebook site and on his blog, and he seems like a stand up guy. If he tells me Olympus is the best system on the planet, I believe he believes that. That doesn't mean I have to agree. It's nice to see people that take pride in their company though.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    He himself expressed concerns with this very issue. With an engineer's objective kind of analysis, I don't think his reviews will be any less realistic or objective than those previous to his employment with Olympus. He does a very thorough job of "wringing out" gear from a user's viewpoint.

• Like Like x 1
  8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg

Whether he is really going to write that a competitor's camera is better.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is what I do. Have you tried the new LR Olympus presets? Apparently they are pretty close.

10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    On the fact he now works for oly ?

Who cares if he gets paid we are all bias some level ?

Take the good of what he says read other reviews then decide if the gear you are looking at is worth trying out and see for yourself

I say good for him more power to him :)

11. Robin's reviews were always "compromised" to an extent because he used and wrote solely about Olympus gear. I found (and still find) them useful because I read them from the perspective of someone who had used some of the same gear that he had and could understand from what level he was coming from. The other thing is that whatever he writes is backed up with some amazing photography.

• Like Like x 3
  12. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

Hey, I might be interested... Could you share the link for those presets please ?;)

13. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I may be speaking out of turn, but I believe he means the new E-M1 profiles in LR 5.3 (final, not beta). You can find them in the drop down list under the Developer Module / Camera Calibration (bottom right panel) / Profile.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder if Robin will now recommend & rate any Panasonic products above and instead of Olympus for purchase and performance...?

15. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    I found Olympus Viewer to be good for previewing various jpeg settings when setting up the E-M1. However, on my computer Olympus Viewer is much too slow to be useful (with raw files). Too much waiting! I find that Lightroom lets me create pretty much any look I want, and offers a faster way to work.

16. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

Is there any integrated profiles for EM5 too ?

Sent from my HTC One S using Mu-43 mobile app

17. hrsy1234

hrsy1234 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 29, 2013
    East London
    Seems excessive. The trade-off of doing it all in one tool (Lightroom specifically) is better. I want to spend more time taking and sharing photos rather than post-processing them in a bunch of disparate applications.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Olympus must pay him very well indeed if he's willing to use Olympus Viewer! I'm still hoping that one day Olympus will give up on writing software and just bundle Lightroom or PSE with their cameras. Might be a long wait though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A question...

Have you read his blog postings enough to find "unrealistic" empirical data? If so, would you please post examples?

Are you aware of the set of conditions that led to his choice to accept an employment position with Olympus? To be more specific, do you believe that he accepted the position because Olympus thought he was a skilled photographer/writer or because Robin was offered a job that payed a good salary?

I am looking for a response from you based on specific examples of Robin's (perceived) bias not an you opinion that you have come to based solely on an emotional inference of "suspicion" because you have come to know that he is employed by Olympus.

My disclaimer here is that I am a "fan" of Olympus products in general. I think Olympus has a corporate team philosophy which allows for thinking "outside of the box" in a desire to provide innovative products/solutions for digital image capture. I do try and look at my choices in photo gear based on the practicalities of my style of photographic use/need. I buy Olympus and (some) Panasonic M43 products because they suit my needs and interests related to image capture not because of an interest in staying loyal to a brand or brands.
    Dan

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The responses here are interesting...
    Thom Hogan is not employed by Nikon, actually bashes Nikon in quite a few of his reviews & yet some still like to say he's a Nikon ****** & employed by Nikon...