Robin Wong Review of the Olympus 40-150/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gryphon1911, Oct 7, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Images look fantastic, say what you will about Robin's relationship with Olympus, but its really hard to argue with the results.

3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm sure it is a great lens, but a Robin Wong review is not the place to find that out. We've been through this issue before with the "Robin Wong comparison of Oly and Panasonic 25mm lenses" thread.

If we want to know, before buying, if the lens has any little foibles or less-than-stellar aspects (I am sure there wont be any actual weakness), then we will have to look elsewhere.

4. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    At least Robin is 100% up front about the relationship with Olympus and seems to still write a balanced blog/test and generally the photo's will speak for themselves. Looks like I will hit the pre-order button now as well

• Like Like x 4
  5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The quality of the sample images he posted is just stunning. All I could say was, "Wow."

If I had the money, I'd buy one. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    It may be true to Robin Wong may only focus on the strengths and not so much on the weaknesses of any Olympus lens, but I am pretty certain that this 40-150 PRO lens is very well corrected. Frank Rückert did a test of the 40-150 + MC14 @ 200mm and compared it against the FT 50-200 lens @ 200mm … and you can clearly notice that CA is better controlled on the 40-150 PRO than on the 50-200 lens. Check out the top/left corner of the image of the OM-D body:

http://pen3.de/40-150/40-150.html

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think these are the first images that show some great variety, as well as crops of the original shown together, so no guessing what the shot is about. I also think the out of focus areas in the background are well presented, clean circles of light, which indicates that this is a very well constructed lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I feel bad for Robin because he gets accused of being biased. It's not his fault Olympus is cranking out kick a$$ lenses left and right! :wink:

• Like Like x 8
  9. I like Robin Wong's blog because he does exactly what the quote in my signature says. Anyhow, lens looks good.

• Like Like x 6
  10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I need anti-GAS pill... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 3
  12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm always careful approaching RW's stuff...BUT....the sample images speak for themselves, he's up-front about his employee/f.anboy (let's be honest, he's a bit of a f.anboy...as are many of us, nothing wrong with that!) status.

That bokeh/sharpness is amazing! M4/3 is definitely hanging with DSLRs (even FFs) and mopping the floor with the rest of the mirrorless market!

EDIT: Haha...I can't believe "f.anboy" is censored. Anyways, I'm leaving it in not to break rules, but because I mean no offence or harm by it. :)

13. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It won't work - you're already infected. The only treatment (there is no cure) is to buy the 40-150 and 1.4x converter. That will diminish the symptoms for a while. The symptoms always return eventually. :redface:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    They forgot to mention one very important difference. The Olympus lens can use a 1.4x teleconverter where the Panasonic can not.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    That's really not a very large lens at all in my book. The pictures make it look bigger than it is. Plus internal zoom, and 2.8, and the lens hood design it's looking more and more interesting. Maybe I should start liquidating some of my manual focus glass....

16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Who wouldn't want RW's job? Basically he gets paid to play with brand new camera gear, go shoot to his his heart's content and then tell the world what a good time he had shooting! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  17. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    As long as you are honest with me and tell me you are on the payroll, then I am OK with it. Regardless, we all have biases and when reading reviews, there are places where you need to read between the lines. It's just the nature of the beast.

18. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    I do believe Robin is the right guy for the job..........his experience is key, great work. Anyone else would be in the same hot seat..........I like his writing style, don't hear a big sales pitch, just a great Demo of the equipment most here like, Olympus!, as I like the 40-150mm of what I have seen or heard so far...... Order up!!!:thumbup:

.02cents...

19. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I have to agree with you. Even though Olympus decided to hire him, he tries to be as honest and frank as he can, like as if he is not an employee. I have been following his reviews before and after he was hired by Olympus, and really, he has not changed his style of reporting/reviewing lenses and he shows no bias. And besides, he doesn't have to say much, as the images speak for themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  20. getoutandshoot

getoutandshoot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I must say this 40-150 is looking like it will really deliver excellent IQ, but also it would be a fun lens to walk around and use. I agree with whoever said it looks bigger than it is. Specs say only a little over 6 inches long, a tad under 2 lbs. It will feel very substantial but a lot easier to hand-hold and shoot compared to the 70-200 Nikon/Canon equivalent tools... The close focus is great too. Robin W. said 50 cm, but I also read 27.6 inches (70 cm.)... either way pretty close... I'm glad Robin said he will try to do a direct comparison between the 75mm f/1.8 and the zoom at 75. That will be interesting. If I were an "event photographer" I think I'd find the 40-150 irresistible. But I'm going to hold out for the 300mm f/4 coming next year.

Dave