Robin Wong in depth on the EPL5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Spuff, Oct 1, 2012.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very interesting review - incredible wedding shots. :43: just keeps getting better! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I like the wedding shots a lot. Nice review. Thanks.

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    What a photographer!

Wonderful pictures.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks a lot .. Incredible images and Robin is such an enthusiastic person . MFT has arrived my friends and all u need is a good photographer behind the camera to take exellent pics .hahah
    Cheers
    bhupinder

• Like Like x 2
  5. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Same thought

I was thinking the same thing Rev.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    It would be great if the EM5 gets the smaller focus box in a future fw update. :biggrin:

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Excellent review, and some lovely images!

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Again, great, practical review, with some lovely images!

I guess the one thing that I absolutely loathe about the E-PL3 - the low res, inaccurate color, tiny LCD display - remains on the E-PL5. Everything else makes this a perfect walk-around camera for me. Maybe I need to wait one more generation for them to fix the display issue before taking the plunge! In the meantime, I wonder what's in store for the E-P5!

11. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I really need this camera NOW!! The wait for it to be released is killing me :(

12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    It won't stop be buying the EPL5, but it does seem a shame that this aspect had gone backwards compared to my EPL1. One would think these things should improve over time, not get worse.

13. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I notice that the screen is by default set to 'Vivid', and there is a 'natural' alternative, both with 14 gradations of 'colour balance'. This was pointed out in the comments and Robin Wong said he had tried this on other Olympus cameras and the control didn't affect the colour accuracy.
    I found this a poor reply. Although the control probably does give the same results, if he is going to complain about something on the camera and make no attempt to try the control that might fix it on the basis of other cameras he has tried, I think he might as well do the whole review from the spec sheet.

Also, the dot number is double of that on my EPL1 (as it is on other subsequent models).

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I find that my E-P1 screen is far more accurate than my E-PL2.

I find that the XZ-1 is way more punchy, but reasonably accurate, but even less so than the E-PL2.

I think it boils down to tradeoffs with the display. I really like the XZ-1 display even though its not as accurate. Its the most viewable in bright conditions. I think thats the rub though, to make them more viewable in bright conditions, color accuracy is lost.

I would have loved to see a 920K dot screen on the E-PL5. I would have paid more for it too.