1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Robin Wong, hits the 1st installment of the Oly 75mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Jorge Ledesma, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    These images are truly sharp fellows, don't freak out, he didn't even sharpened them, its all lens here.

Robin Wong 75mm 1.8 Review

• Like Like x 7
  2. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Those pics are unbelievably sharp! Street photography is the perfect application of this lens. I want it...

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Ditto

4. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    What an amazing lens. I'm tempted to get one now. But at $899 the price tag still makes me cringe.

5. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I wasn't going to get this lens either just because of the price, but yesterday after I saw the slrgear results I put in my order with Adorama.... And seeing these shots from Robin today just confirmed that I made the right call. His shots are exactly the kind of street shooting I like to do so this will be a great lens for me. And as to the slrgear results, if you haven't seen them, here they are, and they are ridiculous:

Olympus Lens: Primes - Olympus 75mm f/1.8 ED M.Zuiko Digital (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

At f/1.8 and f/2 only one corner barely goes above a 1, and from 2.8-11 it is below 1 across the entire frame, and even at f/16 it is barely above 1 at all. I am pretty sure that is the best results ever seen on slrgear, corner to corner, for any lens of any format.

6. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Geez, those photos are incredibly sharp!! Holy moly, maybe I won't wait for the Panny 35-100 after all. Yikes!

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is killing me. This lens is a masterpiece.

I'm going to do an awful lot of portrait work during the next months and counting on the 35-100 as well. Was also considering other options, like older manual lenses to complement my 45mm f/1.8.

Speaking of manual lenses, does anyone have the OM Zuiko 100mm f/2.0? How would you think it would compare to the 75mm?

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol ... Yes this looks like a very beautiful Lens....
    Cheers

9. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    with the rumor on the 12 and 45mm i guess ill wait for the black one :p

10. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Serious lens envy!

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol... I will wait for blue one and that may kill the GAS.. Lol
    Cheers

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1

Want badly.

Spent the money on Red Sox - Yankees tickets instead. My 9 year old is a Red Sox fan, and my little one is a Yankees fan (blame his grandparents), so I had to choose the tickets over the lens. Amazing what good tickets for a family of four at Fenway can run you. Hope it doesn't rain!

• Like Like x 3
  13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    since I didn't get a OMD, I think I'll probably add this lens to my arsenal, and see what output I get from the lowly E-PL1..

14. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Let's hope the 2012 season doesn't end like 2003. :)

15. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Absolutely ridiculously sharp. And to think every one of those is shot wide open.

If you look at the full size image samples, you'll see there's actually a noticeable amount of aliasing happening in some of the subjects' eyelashes... that's crazy, and to me suggests the lens is reaching the resolving limit of the OM-D's sensor.

• Like Like x 2
  16. neurad1

neurad1 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Interesting what he had to say about needing to back up a bit to frame his pictures. He had some warnings/concerns in there....I didn't take the review as an unconditional endorsement.

17. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    It does look like an excellent lens for portraits, but at that focal length I would think street shooting will be challenging. I've had plenty of times where even my 50mm was too long, since you do need to be rather far away if you want anything more than a headshot. On the street you could be dealing with obstructions, other people walking between you and the subject, etc.

18. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Impressive observation, I can't wait for these to trickle down to the rest of the Olympus line up. These next 2 years are going to be huge for M43.

19. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Surely nobody will buy a 150mm (field of view equivalent) lens primarily for street shooting. Anyone buying a Canon 135mm f2L or Nikon 135mm f2 DC is planning to use them for portraits - for which they are superlative - not street shooting. This lens looks to be up there with those portrait monsters and will be an absolute godsend for portrait shooters.

20. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    the price is pretty much the same as the Canon 135mm f/2.0. but i think this one is sharper than that L glass :D