1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Robin Wong comparison of Oly and Panasonic 25mm lenses

Discussion in 'Back Room' started by pdk42, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Ulfric is right, Wong said, at the same aperture the Olympus lens seems a bit brighter. That would indicate a lower level of transmission loss through the lens.

Fred

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I found these observations of the Olympus 12-40mm:

DXO Mark:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Olym...O-lens-review-Pro-worthy-performer/Conclusion

SLR Gear:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1641

On the Panasonic 12-35mm:

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1518

Photozone (maybe Robin had a say in the review?):

http://www.photozone.de/m43/766_pana1235f28?start=2

And a graphic to illustrate I'm not sure what in this apples vs oranges comparison:

Attached Files:

• o1.JPG
      o1.JPG
      File size:
      42.8 KB
      Views:
    • p1.JPG
      p1.JPG
      File size:
      53.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Please hear me out.

May I just quote Robin :

Looking at his sample, to me it just seem his Oly camera is behaving differently. Exposure at both f1.8 and ISO200 show exact same exposure. Photos with Oly having a shorter exposure shows just that darker exposure. Robin is high on Oly.

And Wong to conclude with this "not conclusive" summary statement :

4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I'm not counting on him or expecting him to do a detailed objective review and/or comparison, but I didn't particularly like this either. It's been basically common knowledge for anyone experienced with Micro 4/3 how in-body CA correction works or doesn't work with different bodies and lenses. As others have pointed out, the bokeh comparison of the background guy on the grill is misleading as well.

Whatever, it's not a big deal to me. I wouldn't buy a lens based on a Steve Huff review either, way too subjective (I'm not complaining at all, it's his prerogative to write whatever reviews he would like.) I do think any of this discussion in this thread is fair game, things are different than they were 20 years ago and probably etiquette and reasonable expectations will take a while to get hashed out. I personally don't question Robin's integrity, but I can see why people are complaining about his 'inconclusive' conclusions about lens brightness. It kinda feels like he's trying to give himself wiggle room to say "well I said it wasn't a conclusive statement", yet still sell the Oly 25 against the Pana 25 at the same time. I'm not saying he is consciously doing this, but I'm not sure how he didn't expect some mixed feedback on that one. But hopefully this is a good learning experience for any reviewer.

The Oly lens looks great though to me.

5. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I enjoyed the review and find no problem with his style. For those who just want to confirm that the lens takes great photos, they have the photos to ponder. For those who want something quantitative to measure against the PL25, this review is not going to get you there. He did us a service by providing the photos for use to view and he is known not to dabble in quantitative measures such as MTF or others. I am willing to take his writing at face value given that none of it is very conclusive anyway. This is the kind of quick review some here might do. Well worth the look.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.