Robin Wong about the E-M1 Mark i (in 2020)

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Robin Wong posted just posted an article about the milestone camera the e-m1.1 is in his opinion.

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2020/02/why-olympus-om-d-e-m1-original-was-such.html

As a E-M1.1 user I couldn’t agree more with his article. I started out with the Olympus E-M5 but after the release of the E-M1 I knew that was the camera I wanted. For me, to this day it’s still a very capable camera. It leaves very little to desire for my genre of shooting (although I would love the custom modes on the top dial of the mark ii, that’s about it). I waited for the E-M1.3 announcement to realize that it wouldn’t offer much for my photography so opt-ed for an additional E-M1.1 as a second body.

In my opinion the E-M1.1 marked the change of m43 to focus more on professional-level features while having many superb small and light lenses available. A great combination in my book!

Last edited:

joerg218

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jörg
The E-M1 was my 1st mirrorless camera after years shooting with Canon DSLR's (first a 350D/RebelXT followed by a 50D and 100D/SL1). I completely sold my Canon Gear and invested the money in 2015 in the E-M1 with some lenses and didn't regret it once.
It brought back the fun to take pictures because it had nice, for an DSLR shooter, revolutionary features like EVF with almost all Infos Onscreen, Live Composite etc.
I can good remember on my first photo-tours with the E-M1 and the 12-40 2.8 and 75-300 II lenses.
Equipment which i also use today.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
The mk1 was my primary m4/3 camera, until I got the mk 2.
Note, the ONLY reason that I got the mk 2 was for shooting sports. Other than sports, the mk1 still works just fine, for me.

The mk1 is currently my backup camera to the mk2.
But I still take it out as my primary camera, if I am not shooting sports.

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Yes, the Mk2 is definitely better for sports/wildlife (which I don't shoot) but other than that the Mk1 is still very capable and I'm not a fan articulating screen.

But as mentioned I would love the C modes on the top dial that the E-M1.2 has.. if only Olympus would enable reprogramming the ART/SCN top dial settings to MySet 1/2 it would be 100% perfect for me (I would pay for that update ? ).

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Yes, the Mk2 is definitely better for sports/wildlife (which I don't shoot) but other than that the Mk1 is still very capable and I'm not a fan articulating screen.

But as mentioned I would love the C modes on the top dial that the E-M1.2 has.. if only Olympus would enable reprogramming the ART/SCN top dial settings to MySet 1/2 it would be 100% perfect for me (I would pay for that update ? ).
You CAN reprogramme ART/SCN top dial to MySets on the E-M1.1...

Menu—>Gears—>B—>Mode Dial Function

Congratulations on owning your perfect camera!:drinks: (something my GAS will never allow to happen for me, I’m sure)

Last edited:

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
You CAN reprogramme ART/SCN top dial to MySets on the E-M1.1...

Menu—>Gears—>B—>Mode Dial Function

Congratulations on owning your perfect camera!:drinks: (something my GAS will never allow to happen for me, I’m sure)

I can't thank you enough! After owning the E-M1 and shooting with it extensively I just missed this completely.

Looking at your post I was thinking... no this can't be... wow it really works ?... how can I have missed this all this the time (feeling a bit like an idiot, but overal it made my day :roflmao:). Now I can also get the other buttons assigned to more useful functions than the MySet which is great!

I did read the manual when I go the camera front to back but then some of the options didn't really register I guess.

edit: even the mode dial naming/icons work:
  • MySet 1 = ART as that's wat we aspire to create isn't is ;) My basic / go to shooting settings for most images.
  • MySet 2 = SCN as I want to shoot a beautiful scene so set the camera on a tripod and this setting is my go to tripod setup (e.g. image stabilization off)
  • MySet 3 = composition logo, same as MySet 1 but with monochrome viewfinder makes it easier to focus on composition
  • MySet 4 = Video camera icon, sets the camera up for moving subjects (eg. AF-C tracking, auto ISO, burst shooting)

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
As a E-M1.1 user I couldn’t agree more with his article.

Agreed as well. I waited to jump into micro 4/3rds because I wanted to continue using my old Oly ZD lenses which until the E-M1, no m43 camera supported directly. It was my step into m43 coming from the old Oly E-3. The only thing I miss in the E-M1 that the newer models have are the cross type PDAF points, cause I still use a couple of my old ZD lenses from time to time.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I can't thank you enough! After owning the E-M1 and shooting with it extensively I just missed this completely.

Looking at your post I was thinking... no this can't be... wow it really works ?... how can I have missed this all this the time (feeling a bit like an idiot, but overal it made my day :roflmao:). Now I can also get the other buttons assigned to more useful functions than the MySet which is great!

I did read the manual when I go the camera front to back but then some of the options didn't really register I guess.

edit: even the mode dial naming/icons work:
  • MySet 1 = ART as that's wat we aspire to create isn't is ;) My basic / go to shooting settings for most images.
  • MySet 2 = SCN as I want to shoot a beautiful scene so set the camera on a tripod and this setting is my go to tripod setup (e.g. image stabilization off)
  • MySet 3 = composition logo, same as MySet 1 but with monochrome viewfinder makes it easier to focus on composition
  • MySet 4 = Video camera icon, sets the camera up for moving subjects (eg. AF-C tracking, auto ISO, burst shooting)

Data overload. Too much stuff to learn with a new camera. :confused:
I regularly have to go back over the manual to look for stuff that slipped by me the first and second times.
What also slips by is stuff that I think "nah I won't use that." Then I don't even think about it later. :(

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
There are a couple bugs that have not been fixed. EVF and e-shutter auto ISO.
Though at this point, the probability of them being fixed is pretty small.

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
Absolutely Roelf, the 1st EM1 probably not as big a milestone as the first EM5, the EM1.1 did move Olympus into a new segment not accessible to Olympus before that...

Last year when the rumors again hit the market that Olympus is closing down their imaging business I wrote an article on Olympus. I looked back to 2012 when the financial scandal hit them and followed the story until 2019 when the latest rumor was launched. Studying Olympus I was again and again amazed at such a small activity in a company and what they achieved. People complain about the new EM5 body or the EM1X not being like the EM5 and EM5 II or the EM1.1 and EM1.2 but if you look at the declining camera market I think Olympus is spot on with a new factory, cost structure, new R&D concept to take on the future..... Compare that to some of the other manufacturers and Olympus looks very interesting....

I owned almost every MFT Olympus and still have a few today. I buy and sell a little and last week I picked up a beautiful G9. Trying it and testing it I again realized just how capable the EM1.2 and the G9 is. I am in the strong believe that cameras like the EM1.1, the EM1.2, the Pen F, GX8, GH4, GH5 are all going to dominate the 2nd hand markets in the near future.....

Then you mention the small lenses like the f1.8 series. I think many photographers under estimate how much these high quality affordable lenses contributed to the success of cameras like the EM5 and the EM1 series....

Last edited:

roelwillems

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Roel
Then you mention the small lenses like the f1.8 series. I think many photographers under estimate how much these high quality affordable lenses contributed to the success of cameras like the EM5 and the EM1 series....

For me it was the main reason to include m43 in my research when I wanted to move away from DSLR. The E-M5 was a very good mirrorless camera, but the good and affordable lenses did it for me.

In my opinion the affordability of lenses still is a big pro for the m43 system. The small lenses are great in this regards but also the Pro lenses offer superb quality for a "reasonable" investment.

Dinobe

Mu-43 Veteran

The Olympus 45mm f1.8 defines M43 for me: small, light, compact yet the image quality it can delive is just amazing.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
The Olympus 45mm f1.8 defines M43 for me: small, light, compact yet the image quality it can delive is just amazing.

When I first got mine, it was so small that I initially went to mount it on the camera I wanted to mount it backwards because the front element side was so much smaller than the mount side that I just figured the flared end with the front end. My only issue is since I don't normally shoot portraits, it is an awkward focal length for me that I don't have as many opportunities to use it as I would like.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
BTW, I just noticed that B&H has a handful of original E-M1s used for sale. The cheapest one is only $199 USD and is rated a "7". Hard to beat that price if anyone was looking for a second body or to upgrade from an older lesser model, especially considering you get a 90 day warranty with B&H.

Used E-M1s at B&H

Edit to add: above link is for only the black bodies. They also have some silver bodies but not nearly as cheap.

Latest threads

Top Bottom