1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Robin shows the O 40-150 R lens some love

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Holoholo55, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Mine too. I recently got the 40-150 pro, but the 40-150R is quite excellent for the price and lightweight. I've traveled with it a lot.

3. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Replaced the R with the Pro. Much faster lens and can use it with the TC for 55-210mm.

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It's the best value in a m43 lens, period. I kept mine when I bought the 40-150 Pro because (1) I may need a really small kit to haul for a job, and (2) my wife has just inherited my E-M10 with 14-42 kit zoom plus this lens. It's small and light enough that it won't intimidate her as she moves into using an EVF, interchangeable lens camera.

5. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    True, but do you take your 40-150 Pro with you when you travel? Alas, I could not afford the 40-150 Pro + MC14 combo. I love the 50-200 SWD that I got instead, but I would not take it traveling unless it was for a safari or something like that. :)

6. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Big time. We were out of the country for November doing photography. The wife and I each carry a Tenba Large Messenger bag that holds a Macbook, two E-M1s and our lenses, batteries, chargers....etc. So much smaller and lighter than the 50 pounds of DSLRs and lenses we used to carry.

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Well sure, in comparison to that, a big difference. At one point, I had the O MZ 40-150 R, P 45-200, and the ZD 50-200 SWD. Sold the 45-200, but kept the little O 40-150 R for travel purposes. I don't typically take a laptop on travel, only an iPad mini, and the big 50-200 doesn't fit in any of my small camera bags. :)

8. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    I had the O40-150 and sold it after I got the P45-175 on Fleabay for about the same price. It is a better lens. Internal focus, very fast AF, super contrast and colors, good near and far, and a tad sharper overall. Same weight. Just a better lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    It's a fantastic lens, very pleased with the sharpness and the bokeh. Also it's so light that i often carry it around in my jacket just in case I have a need for it :) I bought it used for a cheap price, but even when new it's quite affordable and there are often bargains on it.

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I still have mine as well, even after the 40-150 PRO acquisition. I'm thinking of getting rid of it because I also have the 75-300. A bit of a better lens and not that much more weight for the amount of reach/FOV you gain from it.

11. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I bought mine to use with my EPM1 and didn't rate it mounted on that camera, compared to my P45-200 on a Lumix G. I think this was due to the less effective IBIS. Since getting the EM10, its proving to be quite a nice performer, especially for the price I paid. I should try to use it more.

12. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    It is what it is.

Not my fave, but light, tiny. Up to 100mm or so, it is pretty sharp. Beyond that, meh.

If you need reach, you can do a lot worse. I discovered I never go that tight so it's up for sale.

If it doesn't sell, I'll be glad to hold on to it and even use it when appropriate. It's just not that exciting a lens.

P.

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I bought it when it was on sale for $99 CDN quite awhile back before they jacked up the price here. But when I got a deal on a used 35-100 f/2.8 and 70-300 f/4-5.6 4/3 lens, the 40-150R became redundant so I sold it. It was a good sharp lens, but I felt it lacked character and the bokeh was a bit harsh for my taste. Anyhow, it's a great telephoto kit for those non-discerning users.

14. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    I never own the 40-150R but I briefly had a 14-150 (that Robin Wong states it performs similarly).
    It's clearly not a great lens (I choose to keep the Panasonic 45-150 instead, which I found better - even if it's not a great lens either).
    But that doesn't mean you can't take great pictures with it;)

That's what I like about Robin Wong's review.
    When I look at his pictures, I would not have guess they were taken with the 40-150R.
    Some are very nice, with a nice bokeh etc... etc...
    I think it helps put things into perspective... we often want better lenses, but most times, the way to take better pictures is not having better lenses...
    We can already do a lot of great pictures with "not so expensive" gear.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love Robin's blog and shooting, but it's hard to get an objective review from him now since he's an Olympus employee. It's as if Panasonic doesn't even exist. I'm using the 12-32mm and 45-175mm as my two lens small zoom kit and that combo is just better overall than the 14-42 EZ/40-150mm R combo he's promoting. The 12-32mm is wider, compact and sharp end-to-end while the 45-175mm is just an excellent lens in terms of design and optical quality for it's price point.

Honestly I'm not liking how Olympus and Panasonic are diverging on their lens specs causing minor, but noticeable incompatibilities. What's the point of having a shared mount if there isn't 100% compatibility?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Robin picked some great subjects and he has a great eye. We have the 40-150R and, like others have said, it is tiny, little and makes a great travel lens. It works well with smaller bodies. I think that some of the less expensive m4/3 lenses are not appreciated enough. Here is the image thread: Showcase - Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6

17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Since I travel internationally for weeks without checked luggage, size and weight make a huge difference for me. It is one of the main reasons I switched from DSLR to m43. When the 40-150 PRO came out, I made a conscious decision to just hang onto the 40-150R and have not looked back. I did an analysis of my travel shooting and found that less than 15% were shot longer than 40mm anyway so have not missed much. I think it all boils down to how one shoots. Back in my mountaineering days, I would not have carried the PRO either. Of course, then I was shooting the Canon F1 and the biggest part of my "gear" was all that film. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    Yes, it's not objective... few reviews are.
    The "subjective" approach he uses for his review is what make them stand out of the all technical reviews.
    There's some technical information, there's a lot of examples, and there's his oppinion (you don't have to share his opinions to find his reviews interesting).

Reading his blog was one of the things that made me switch from APS.
    Especially his review from the 9 mm body cap. I thought that maybe this was a way to get back the "fun" part of photography I lost.
    (I didn't bought the 9 mm in the end - got the sammy 7.5 instead)

If you like power zooms;)
    Even with a pseudo manual switch (like on the 12-50 or 45-175) I find that this is killing the pleasure of shooting.

I've got a lot of Olympus & Panasonic lenses... and I've got 1 Oly & 1 Panny body.
    Most of the times I use an Olympus body with a Panasonic lens... and that works very well.
    Incompatibilites are minor (except for a few lenses).

19. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I've owned the 40-150R a few times. I feel its a good lens but overshadowed by other tele options available on m43. For better optical quality and still compact size, a number of Panasonic lenses fit that bill. The Oly is one of those lenses I kept getting because the price was a no brainer (got one bundled with a body for $19) but rarely used.

20. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    definitely agree. 45-175 is my ideal tele zoom, and i'm just waiting for a good deal in EU to upgrade my 40-150mm. Though, if you do manage to find a sharp copy of 12-50, that would have even more advantages (weather sealed, faux macro and longer reach).