Robin is back!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is what I have heard from most of them who make videos for Youtube.
when I have watched their videos. I'm not saying it is certain, but very likely.
I'm saying what I have heard for sure Visionaries like Joe Edelman and Robin Wong for example say.

Man, the flip flopping is strong with this one. 'I heard but then again maybe not so sure but it could be likely but actually for sure that...'

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Man, the flip flopping is strong with this one. 'I heard but then again maybe not so sure but it could be likely but actually for sure that...'

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but all those comments agree with each other. I have never claimed they're not getting paid, only that I have heard they only get discounts etc. from multiple Youtube Visionaries. I asked for proof, which you had with one quote from 2012, when the industry was totally different.

Now I asked Robin and another one, so we can be more certain, if they will answer. So we can put this silly argument into rest, and not spread speculations. I don't care much either way.

Anyone with a brain should know they're not totally objective. It's not rocket science, they tell it and have the logos on their pages and shirts.

And hopefully we can let very positive people be like they're without speculating if they're faking it, because they're paid.

Like I said, as a Finn, Robin is usually too positive for me too, but I like that humanity is so diverse. And I enjoy his videos sometimes too.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Like I said earlier, degenerating into something unhealthy.

It was not at the time when you said it, and hasn't been that bad now either imo.

Mostly basic argumentation stuff, but it's now going rounds like the Santa said.

Not all like to argue, but some do, and arguing is not a bad thing in itself. It's one of the benefactories of humankind since the Ancient Greeks, and likely long before. It was one of the most important things back then, when the basics of our civilization were founded.

But ay, you have some amazing crystal ball skillz, mate!

Anyway, we will have some disclosure hopefully soon, if these Visionaries answer my questions. I'm happy either way, as long as the truth comes out.

The result of these arguments was that I reached out to these persons, so we will know the truth. Without argumentation, this would not have happened. So I thank everyone in this great forum.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Careful. Olympus and OMDS have nothing to do with him being a Visionary. Robin even admitted it himself. The visionary status is strictly between him and the Malaysian camera store-chain which is the sole distributor of OMDs products there, now. Olympus/OMDs doesn't know him from Adam...

I think each country/region's Olympus distributor established relationships with Visionaries they choose. The Visionaries in the US are different than those for Olympus UK or EU, or Olympus Asia. They each have their own. You can see that if you go to their regional websites and look up their Visionaries. Ditto with Malaysia. Yes, enough already.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I think each country/region's Olympus distributor established relationships with Visionaries they choose. The Visionaries in the US are different than those for Olympus UK or EU, or Olympus Asia. They each have their own. You can see that if you go to their regional websites and look up their Visionaries. Ditto with Malaysia. Yes, enough already.

I have still not got an explanation on what is the practical difference here.

Why is it important to point out that Robin is a Visionary for OMD World Imaging vs something else? He is allowed to use the Olympus shirt apparantly, and say he is a Visionary.

I can't see the importance of this difference? Please help me.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
What does it matter? Robin is a cool guy, makes videos teaching people to handle their camera, is enthusiastic about our gear, and friendly.
That’s good enough for me.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Did you read the article? It had this:
My level of product knowledge was unfairly higher than most people because of this exclusive training that I had access to, and believe me, I know a lot more secrets that I cannot even share here."

I remember that. He has also called his bluff a few times indicating that he knows nothing about the inner machinations of the company - either Olympus or OMDS... It's in his other reviews.

However, keep in mind that Robin actually, while a pro, had quite a few holes in his knowledge of how the cameras worked and the history of Olympus. He didn't get to see anything "inside" - he just got more technical tips from what is essentially the front lobby support that Olympus offered at the time. He wasn't privy to any secrets or engineering discussions about future products.

What he did was similar to the "Tech Deep-Dive" conferences Hasselblad used to hold around the world for pros who leased their gear - specifically for the ones who wanted more than a functional knowledge of their equipment. Nikon and Canon offered the same sort of thing.

Being on a forum like this, many of us are quite up on the technical aspects of our gear. A lot of professional shooters are there simply aren't. Many who watch Youtube videos know even less about the products evangelists speak of. Such is the gradient of knowledge we are dealing with here.

At least he's passionate and seems to genuinely like to teach. Compare him to someone like Peter Forsgärd and you'll see there's a huge gulf in expectations when it comes to "Visionary" status...

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Why is it important to point out that Robin is a Visionary for OMD World Imaging vs something else? He is allowed to use the Olympus shirt apparantly, and say he is a Visionary.

Whatever it is, it was important enough for him to express his disappointment that OMDs/Olympus didn't connect with him directly. It's right there in his discussion about "coming back."

Anyway, just enjoy the ride. He may have stuff you'd like. "You take what you need and you leave the rest..."

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
I remember that. He has also called his bluff a few times indicating that he knows nothing about the inner machinations of the company - either Olympus or OMDS... It's in his other reviews.

However, keep in mind that Robin actually, while a pro, had quite a few holes in his knowledge of how the cameras worked and the history of Olympus. He didn't get to see anything "inside" - he just got more technical tips from what is essentially the front lobby support that Olympus offered at the time. He wasn't privy to any secrets or engineering discussions about future products.

What he did was similar to the "Tech Deep-Dive" conferences Hasselblad used to hold around the world for pros who leased their gear - specifically for the ones who wanted more than a functional knowledge of their equipment. Nikon and Canon offered the same sort of thing.

Being on a forum like this, many of us are quite up on the technical aspects of our gear. A lot of professional shooters are there simply aren't. Many who watch Youtube videos know even less about the products evangelists speak of. Such is the gradient of knowledge we are dealing with here.

At least he's passionate and seems to genuinely like to teach. Compare him to someone like Peter Forsgärd and you'll see there's a huge gulf in expectations when it comes to "Visionary" status...

Yes, they don't know much about the future products or can say about them without permission.

I'm not sure how can you know a person who has visited Olympus Japan HQ/factory yearly for four years as an employee, doesn't know more than normal reviewers. I would assume they know more.

You're free to mock Olympus Visionaries. It's just a name. They don't have to be Nikola Tesla or Antoine Bechamp.

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Whatever it is, it was important enough for him to express his disappointment that OMDs/Olympus didn't connect with him directly. It's right there in his discussion about "coming back."

Anyway, just enjoy the ride. He may have stuff you'd like. "You take what you need and you leave the rest..."

He was disappointed that it was so late I think, but whatever.

You still didn't tell what is the practical difference. Likely because there isn't much.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Arguing is an intellectual process....

I can volunteer to be the wobblebutt, as long as I puff Truth. We all have GAS.

I didn't know arguments can come in 5 minute sizes? I thought they always take days and days? Wow, what a world!

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom