Robin is back!

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
He isn't contracted to OMDS - It's their distributor in Malaysia who have set up the visionary program. Probably a smart move.

Exactly.

Quote from Robins blog - " OMD World Imaging, the local representative of Olympus brand in Malaysia, and sole distributor of Olympus products here has finally contacted me recently and invited me to rejoin the Olympus Visionary program." and - " I am an ambassador to the Olympus brand in Malaysia".

I'm sure he's a very nice chap and he does take some good photos. However, for me, he's just not balanced enough in his views. Just comes across as way too positive and gushing at times.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm happy to see this, I got a lot of value in his posts while using Canon and considering switching to m43.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Robin's OK, I like his work on the OMD series cameras. He has earned his global influence credentials on behalf of m43s.

I'm sure the last 6-8 months have been very traumatic for those 'influencers' with a contractual connection to Olympus in some way. I'm going to go out and watch a few videos just for the heck of it. I hope you will too!

"Let's DO This!"

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BTW, I was watching a different, less well known Photographic talking head the other day, and at the end of his intro, he said "lets do this". His eyes got big when he realized what he said, and he said, "Oops! That's Robin Wong's thing! You should watch him too!"

Robin is an influencer to influencers.

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
This makes me happy; I am a fan of Robin.

I think he does a nice job of cutting through all the equipment comparison noise and showing that you can get fantastic images out of micro 4/3 (even with cheap lenses).

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
However, for me, he's just not balanced enough in his views. Just comes across as way too positive and gushing at times.

Well ya, that is what the company expects when they PAY someone to talk about your products. He is an advertisement, not an independent reviewer.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Well ya, that is what the company expects when they PAY someone to talk about your products. He is an advertisement, not an independent reviewer.

Can you provide the evidence he is getting paid by Olympus? Because every Visionary I have seen, has said that they aren't getting paid. They can get some discounts for products though.

Robin emphasized that he hasn't been paid, but does it because he wants to, in his video too.

I also know that Robin has criticized Olympus products in the past.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Can you provide the evidence he is getting paid by Olympus? Because every Visionary I have seen, has said that they aren't getting paid. They can get some discounts for products though.

Well from https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/visionaries (bold emphasis mine).
"The Olympus Visionary Program is Olympus America Inc.’s official program for its sponsored photographers."
Maybe "paid" wasn't the right word? Or maybe it was. ;) But how about we go with he is "compensated" to highlight their products. Maybe it is free equipment or something like that. Cash isn't the only way to "compensate" someone.

Another from https://www.davidhwells.com/2012/09/28/lessons-from-the-newest-olympus-visionaries/ (again bold is mine).
" I will be the first to admit that being an Olympus Visionary is a blast. I get paid to to play with the latest gear before most other people do. The company asks for my opinion (sometimes.) They spend time and effort promoting me and my work "

Now perhaps it is different with Robin as he is also a relatively new visionary to the program and maybe the Malaysian version is different. But still, his job is to be a cheerleader for the company or in his own words a "brand ambassador" and that as part of that "will be careful not to mention or compare Olympus products with any other brands to avoid conflict of interest." and he "will not be doing any more product reviews during my involvement as an Olympus Visionary."

So I fairly comfortable stating that he is an advertisement for Olympus rather than an objective reviewer or observer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom