Robert Frank dies

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
If you get a chance, see the short movie clip at DPR that he did back in the early 1970's in NYC with The Rolling Stones. It was quite an interesting take on NYC at the time.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Also, I cannot find the titles, but I believe there are books with outtakes and contact sheets from The Americans. Keep an eye out if you are interested.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I am glad you found a copy. I think the book helps give some context to the project, as you can see more than just the finally selected images. I like seeing the "backstory" as it reminds me that not every image taken by somebody famous is a winner. And it helps me better understand how they tied to tackle their assignments. I hope you enjoy.

--Ken

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you get a chance, see the short movie clip at DPR that he did back in the early 1970's in NYC with The Rolling Stones.
I can't quote the title of the film here, but after the Stones saw the results...with lots of sex and drug abuse...they ended up fighting with Frank to not have it released when he refused to edit out the objectionable footage. The legal settlement was that it can only be screened four times a year and only with Frank in attendance (so maybe it will never be screened again?). It shows up now and then on YouTube only to be pulled almost immediately.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Currently trying to hunt down a copy of Fred's Modern Color book.

Just found out that Charlie Cole also passed away. Very fitting that we would pass just days after the 30th anniversary of Tienanmen Square.

I really hope we don't lose Jeff Widener too.

Tony JD Harding

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Tony
Prompted by Jack Kerouac’s introduction to The Americans, I decided to at last get round to reading “On the Road”. Probably one to divide opinion, but have to say, I found it a bit, well ........ boring. Call me old fashioned but I didn’t quite see what was heroic or epic about loafing around America blagging on other people’s hospitality and wrecking other people’s cars etc. The Americans told a much better story in my view. Maybe the lens is mightier than the pen! Thoughts welcome ...

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Prompted by Jack Kerouac’s introduction to The Americans, I decided to at last get round to reading “On the Road”. Probably one to divide opinion, but have to say, I found it a bit, well ........ boring. Call me old fashioned but I didn’t quite see what was heroic or epic about loafing around America blagging on other people’s hospitality and wrecking other people’s cars etc. The Americans told a much better story in my view. Maybe the lens is mightier than the pen! Thoughts welcome ...
Consider reading Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. I thought it was a much better read about being on the road in America in the early 1960's.

--Ken

Tony JD Harding

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Tony
Consider reading Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. I thought it was a much better read about being on the road in America in the early 1960's.

--Ken
Thanks - i’ll Certainly take that up. I finally got round to The Grapes of Wrath earlier this year, and supplemented it with Dorothea Lange’s images of migrant workers, and a few Woody Guthrie songs. Very powerful experience!

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I've been sitting in my hammock drinking beer all afternoon. Is there any other books I should order without having to sift through this thread?

Also tracked down a copy of World Press Photo 1990. Seemed right to do with Carlie Cole dying.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Thanks - i’ll Certainly take that up. I finally got round to The Grapes of Wrath earlier this year, and supplemented it with Dorothea Lange’s images of migrant workers, and a few Woody Guthrie songs. Very powerful experience!
I did not read The Grapes of Wrath (but need to at some point in my life), but Travels With Charley is a very easy read, so do not be put off. I like these travel books and I am sure the list of good ones is longer than we can care to count, but I have a soft spot for this book. I hope it is a good read.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom