1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Road trip with the OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by KVG, Sep 4, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    So I was going to do a review of this camera, but I would just be echoing what has been said over and over. I do agree that it is a fantastic all around camera and never using an Olympus before I did find that their color JPG's are way better than Panasonic's. One thing I did find was that the EM5 has a real problem rendering blues and I got banding with 7-14 and the 25/1.4 even at base iso. I don't think I will buy one even though the IBS is.......wow, and for a guy who shoots JPG's, the JPG's are stunning, just because so many shots ended up on the cutting room floor due to banding. The Really enjoyed the camera and other than the banding it was the best camera I have ever used. Special thanks to Grinch for lending me his OMD.

P8280118.

P8290158.

P8290168.

P8270167.

P8270178.

P8280099.

P8270215.

P8260120.

P8270221.

• Like Like x 13
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Looks like the most interesting trip! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Great shots!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Fine set.:thumbup: Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice set Kelly. I may do a quick look through my images with the OMD & 7-14 in case there has been some banding I've missed but can't recall any....I shoot raw so perhaps it's just a jpeg thing ?!? Now I'm curious to go through my catalogue.

Good stuff buddy...keep shooting.

6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Thanks Joe. Here's a few of mine that I haven't already deleted. All have banding in the sky, the worst I already deleted, sorry.

P8290188.

P8290182.

P8290163.

P8290149.

7. Antonio

Antonio Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2011
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Sorry, but I don't understand well what "banding" means. I could not see any problem with the sky in your photos.

8. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    :thiagree:don't see banding...I do see a figure in one of the barn windows:alcoholic:

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I don't see it either. Perhaps it's because these are small pics?

10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Is it where the colors clump together in an area of color gradation, instead of dithered?

I'm using a macbook pro connected to a dell monitor, I can see the banding easier on the MacBook Pro's screen than the dell screen. I'm guessing this is one of the tricks employed by the OM-D to achieve such a high dynamic range.

I'll have to go back and check pictures that I've taken with my OM-D, I didn't remember noticing anything like that.

11. kartonos

kartonos Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 4, 2012
    I see it, you need to increase the brightness & contrast of your monitor first.
    Yeah I definitely notice the weakness of OM-D through my experience, but never had any banding problem with base ISO (200) - only if I shot it at high ISO or really dark scenes (red banding is the most common problem)

other than that it's a perfect portable-pro camera.

12. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Some magnificent photos there :)

13. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    I really like the whole set and the post processing. One thing though... I don't get why the OP is a "banned user" :/

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    great shots man, but i dont see the banding in any of my screens (Dell / Macbook Pro), maybe that gradient in the sky specially on the barn in the second batch of images is maybe because colors might be over saturated in PP?. I dont shoot jpg never, only raw and have never had a banding problem. But I dont get some of your over saturated colors either.

15. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Great photos as always Kelly. I'm still getting used to the 7-14, bit by bit I'm learning. Thanks for sharing aye

best,
    icon

16. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I used the Windows magnifier to look for banding. I think I don't see banding, but posterization: the borders between various parts are curved and banding mostly shows up as vertical or horizontal bands. That is, if I'm looking at the right things, it's very hard to make out, even when looking at the pics in colour-managed Firefox on my calibrated wide-gamut monitor. Maybe the post-processing causes this, not using enough bit depth? I noticed in the EXIF data that you used QuickTime for processing, I'm not at all familiar with that program, so I don't know if it uses only 8-bits internally for processing. If this is the problem, the obvious way to go is shooting raw and PP in a program that uses 16-bits colours.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Don't see any clear banding. And stating that you need to turn up screen brightness and contrast to see it indicates it may be a screen issue, at least in part; my calibrated Apple Cinema Display has backlight set to maybe 1/3 brightness and normal contrast for optimal viewing. Might also want to tone down contrast settings in the JPG engine if you get posterisation or banding.

I haven't noticed any banding in my processed RAWs. I can make them band by pushing them too far, but that applies to everything.

18. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The original set is excellent, great shots! Maybe some of the banding questions could be resolved by printing some of the shots where the OP sees banding and see if it shows up in prints. If not, it would probably be a monitor issue. If it still appears then it is a definite problem. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    great idea

20. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I printed some and me and Grinch checked them out over a beer and the banding was there. I wonder if it only happens with jpg's.

typed on my phone, sorry.