road trip questions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PacNWMike, Sep 19, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    My daughter graduates this semester and we are driving down to AZ in mid December. On the way down we are going through SLC and plan to spend a couple of days around Kanab. On the way back I'm thinking to head up through Death Valley. Question for those who know the area, what are the roads going to be like 2nd-3rd week of December? Are we nuts? Specific route contemplated would be from Las Vegas to Lone Pine then on up 395. How is route 190?

Previous experience is that the desert is way better than the coast. Besides being shorter even with a bit of snow it beats all the traffic on the coast. Nothing like being hemmed in by semis going 65-70 in the pouring rain and no visibility.

Can anyone recommend a place to stay around Death Valley? Sights not to miss?

thanks
    Mike

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I would stay in Lone Pine, hundreds of movies have been made in the area. Close to Death Valley and Mount Whitney. Furnace Creek Inn if the desert is the priority. It's been a while since I've been on 190 but part of it is gravel, and the conditions all depend on the weather, which is not predictable this far out.