RMS Microscope to M42 Adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, May 26, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My RMS microscope objective adapter arrived today and this is what it looks like attached to my bellows on one end, with an LED ring light, and E-P2 on the other. The adapter is attached to a Soligor 2x extender from which the lens elements have been removed to give me an OM extension tube/lens adapter. The microscope objective is a cheap Amscope 4x that came with my Amscope microscope, so this is just a starting point for me. What I intend to do is rig up a diffuser for the ring light, but also intend to work with direct light. The other thing I want to do is get a solid base for the bellows (probably a heavy metal plate) and some sort of subject holder with a microscope type movement adjuster to enable, precisely positioned, stacked images. I think the internals of the adapter does need to be 'flocked', as it's just a smooth, anodised, interior, but this should be pretty easy to do. The adapter itself appears to be well made in all other respects.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Nice! I'm using a different RMS-to-M42 adapter for my experiments in macroscopy, but the setup is very similar. I haven't had good luck with my WB when using LEDs, so I got an illuminator with fiber guides that I hold in place by the subject with some helping hands.

The vibration from your shutter is the biggest issue, and it's significant at these magnifications. You need a lot of light in order to keep your ISO low and your shutter speed high to maintain good IQ. You'll find that your best IQ from your microscope objectives comes at their recommended flange distance (normally 160mm). Much beyond that you might see some artifacts - how much depends on the lens.

Setting up the stage to hold the subject is the most difficult part, especially if you want it to be perfectly flat. I'm building a rig that can mount my bellows and that I can use either vertically or horizontally - the vertical orientation will have a mechanical stage for the subject so I can perhaps photograph subjects on microscope slides with my 40x and 100x objectives. Eventually I'll buy a real microscope and attach my camera to it, but for now a cheap setup will do.

Good luck and have fun with your new rig!

• Like Like x 2
  3. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have a reasonable microscope, which I got new from Amscope on eBay for around $350 (still going around that price), but I've seen a lot of great stuff being done with a bellows and microscope objectives, so I wanted to explore this avenue as well. I've done some trials with the LEDs and they will allow me some reasonably good lighting, but I can always use my flash units as well, if things aren't bright enough.

I intend to look at getting a piece of 1/2" - 3/4" steel plate onto which I will mount the bellows and that should take care of a lot of the vibration. The Pen is pretty well damped anyway, as it doesn't have the flappy mirror. I'm also going to see if I can find an old microscope stand that has a functioning object holder and controls, and cut off the base and column and use the remainder as a focussing rail.

This all in good fun, as I still have my macro lenses that I can attach to the bellows, so I'm basically building up a lab style setup for subjects where I want to do more precise photography and especially stacking.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  4. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  5. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, Ray. Those are the ones I'm considering buying when I have the funds available. For the moment I'm playing around with some old bookshelves that I'm using to build my macroscope base. Clunky and unrefined, but I think it'll do the job just fine.

6. arpoador

arpoador Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hi Ray -

Are you still happy with your Amscope T490B? Has it held up well?

I'm about to order one, so I googled Amscope to find web reviews, and was intrigued to find a reference here on µ4/3. Your actual thread is about something different, but this is the one I'm thinking of buying.

-josé