River Life with Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgharold, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
  2. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Purple Fringe Around Highlights with Panasonic 25mm

Hey James,

Been following your blog and noticed that you don't have comments open... Great shots, but I have some questions about that fourth shot of the canoe.

Was the aperture wide open at 1.4f on that one?

I recently got the Panny 25m and took it out for a shoot by the pool, and found that all wide open shots had the same purple fringing in the washed out highlights. I have not noticed this with the 45m 1.8 or 20m 1.7. Is this a consequence of the wider 1.4?

In this image I really like the effect, but I think it ruined several of my images.
  3. AoxomoxoA

AoxomoxoA New to Mu-43

Apr 28, 2012
    My 25 on an EM-5 exhibited the same effect when took a shot at my son's high school football game. Much fringing around the tall, bright field light that was in the frame.

4. AerialFilm1

AerialFilm1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2012
    Wekiva, Florida
    Don't feel too bad. In my line of work we have $100,000+ broadcast cameras that do that. It's not your camera or lens but your scene. Keep in mind it's not a fair comparison between silicon digital sensors, and the rods and cones and processor yer maker gave you. Most peoples OEM equipment can delineate contrast and evenly process a scene like that. The fancy picture taker thingys, not so much.

Beautiful images James. I just ordered the same lens and can't wait to get it on the camera.
  5. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi, thanks for the comments. The fourth shot was taken with the aperture wide open at 1.4 As all my other lenses only open to f/1.8, so I cannot say for sure that the combination of direct sunlight and the Panny 25mm wide open @ 1.4 caused this fringing. I haven't seen it on the Olympus lenses but they are not a bright as this lens. The fringing in this photo didn't worry me too much but you have got me thinking now. Might have to run some tests against my lenses. If it is the case I will just stop down slightly to ensure highlights aren't blown under these conditions.
  6. jgharold

jgharold Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    By the way, I have also just ammended the settings on my blog page, so you will now hopefully be able to leave comments.