Riso Printers

Discussion in 'Printing' started by OzRay, Sep 22, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    This is a bit of a long shot, but does anyone here have first hand knowledge about late model colour Riso printers like the ComColor 7150? The newspaper that I'm now working for has an old Risograph B&W printer that I've been tasked to replace with a modern colour printer. I'd never heard of a Riso printer until I started there and I've been doing a lot of research on the subject. Google Riso/Risograph if your interested, it's quite a tale and a major fad for the art world at the moment.

The Risograph that we have is still in excellent condition, but the paper wants to introduce colour as well as improve the B&W quality of the print. The Risograph that we have just doesn't cut it when compared to the quality of laser printers, but I'm looking for a colour printer that can produce around 20,000+ A3 pages per week, as well as print fast (all printed on the one morning). The old Risographs required multiple passes for colour, so that's out of the question.

Everything that I've researched about laser printers, even the enterprise models, seems to indicate that they will not cut the mustard when it comes to speed, capacity as well as price per page. However, there is so little information on the Riso colour printers and I haven't been able to find any really independent reviews.

On the other hand, if anyone has experience with fast, high capacity, laser printers, that too would be appreciated.