RIP, my beloved GX1... Worth switching to OM-D?

kadamnation

Mu-43 Regular
My GX1 had a run-in with a New Hampshire parking lot that totaled the camera, with more than one repair shop telling me it'd cost over the GX1's current ~$200-240 asking price to repair the damage. I'm super bummed about the loss, but I've got enough lenses that I'm definitely not leaving :43:—my question has become, "is this the time to upgrade?"

The OM-D is a downright beautiful camera, with way more style than my GX1. , In-body IS is a plus since I shoot with a lot of adapted manual lenses, and I like how it holds and handles—It doesn't -quite- feel as satisfying to me to trigger the shutter when I've tried it out, but I suspect I'd get over that (certainly the professionals have!). My only big concerns are

Price: The EM-5 has come down a little and I'd be buying body-only, but it's over *3x* another GX1;

Size: It feels notably heavier than the GX1, and the reason I went m43 instead of DSLR was portability... how big a difference in "carry-ability" do you think the larger camera makes in the long run? Last winter I definitely traveled with a GX1 and Pany 20mm in my jacket, not sure I could do the same with the thicker (or at least thicker-feeling) OMD; and

Lifespan: The OM-D's been king of the hill in Olympus-land for a while, but the EP5 doesn't seem like a significant challenger and so far 43rumors.com doesn't think the OM-D coming this fall will be a "successor" to the E-M5. I'm wondering if it's worth just getting another GX1 and holding out for a major upgrade in half a year or so.

So, what do y'all think? If any of you have made the GX1 -> OMD switch, I'd love to learn about your experiences with the transition! Any and all opinions welcome. :2thumbs:

My flickr (almost exclusively shot on a GX1) can be found at Flickr: kadamnation's Photostream

Wizard Steve

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David Ricketts
I have to admit that I've not bonded with my E-M5 at all. If I had my time again, I'd have chosen something smaller. The thought of a GX-1 with a 20mm in my pocket sounds very appealing. If the GX-1 is enough camera for you then I think you should stick with it. If it's not then ask yourself what it's missing.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I would tend to agree with Wizard Steve.

The E-M5 is an excellent camera in many ways, but for me, it has headed away from the premise that drew me to m4/3 - compact. And it sounds to me like you would like to stay with a small, convenient body. You might consider an E-PM2 or an E-PL5 with optional EVF?

But If you can do without the EVF and IBIS for a while, I think you might consider just picking up another GX1 for the mid $200s (superb deal!) for now, and look forward to seeing what the GX2 turns out to be. If the GX2 is what most of us are hoping it will be, I think it will be a landmark camera... most likely a bit bigger than the GX1, but hopefully with a streamlined, rangefinder-shaped form factor.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Well we dont know what Olympus are going to bring out in the fall but the best guesses seem to be....

1. And OMD placed above the EM5 in Oly's product ranking
2. Almost certainly priced at a considerable premium to both the EP5 and EM5 - US$1299 body only?

If that is the case there is considerable room for the EM5 to retail body only at US$800 - US$900 for quite some time to come.

So if you think that you might be in the market for the new EMX and are willing to pay the entrance fee, then it makes sense to settle for a GX1 and buy the new EM series in the winter. If it is really the OMD that you want I dont think you are going to go far wrong buying it now.

BTW my personal theory for the new 'upmarket' OMD is that along with the EP5 'improvements', it is going to be 'larger' with a 'bigger grip' and 'battery'. In effect I think it is going to be aimed at EM5 users who have bought the additional grip (on the basis that this one wont need - well at least the horizontal part). I also think it is likely to be priced at about the - EM5 + grip - price.

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I traded my GX1 camera & 45-175 lens in as part of an exchange for an OMD in April this year, prior to the GX1 I had a GF1 so had an allegiance to Panasonic.

A friend let me try his OMD and that was it, I was hooked so did the exchange and have to say that for me, the OMD is a better camera in every sense and it certainly gives me better quality images than those from the GX1 (not by a huge amount but certainly better)!

I have no hesitation in recommending the OMD over the GX1 but you need to handle it first as it is a different animal (I would also recommend the HLD-6 grip that offers options of use - great addition).

If that does not appeal, you may want to consider the EP-5 as it has same sensor/IBIS as OMD + 1/8000 shutter and faster flash sync in a unit not much bigger than your GX1 but, it is new and expensive!

shihhan.chen

New to Mu-43
Commiserations...
As a fellow GX1 owner I can understand your loss and the dilemma in upgrade path! (where is the GX2 Panny?)

I think if size is a factor than either another GX1 would probably suit you at a decent budget. Otherwise if you want an EVF, G5 or G6 may be a good choice.

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
Price: The EM-5 has come down a little and I'd be buying body-only, but it's over *3x* another GX1;

Size: It feels notably heavier than the GX1, and the reason I went m43 instead of DSLR was portability...

Price: Although the price is incredibly high for me, this camera is incredibly good. The rest is down to you.
Size: Adding any lens, apart from a pancake, to any m43 camera makes it not pocketable. So the OM-D top lump does not make much difference. And my whole OM-D kit fits in the tiny PEN street Case M. Including OM-D, 3 zooms, a flash, battery, pol filter, hood, wireless timer. Changing the OM-D for a GX1 and you don't gain any noticable space in the bag.

Latest threads

Top Bottom