1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

RIP EP1: Killed by DXO (warning: lots of pictures, 20+)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Jul 13, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    With all the talk about NEX and DXO, I went through my EP1 shots. I still rather like the camera, and think the mechanical and feature set improvements (especially that EPL3) and the new lenses, are going to be killer!!

Here are some shots from the unloved EP1 and it's lowly DXO score:

• Like Like x 17
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great shots! Love the photos of the carp in particular. I use my E-P1 mostly for video now---should go out and shoot with it again.

The E-P1 is dead...long live the E-P1!

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Beautiful collection.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, those are terrible.

All hail DxOMark :hail: The E-P1 is not worthy

• Like Like x 4
  5. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The e-p1 is far from being dead. DxO is only a metric. It says nothing about character, aesthetic, and such things as mood, feelings, vibrance, are out of its scope.

You can't put art in equation.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 4
  6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I think it depends on what makes these good. They are good shots and they are small images. Wouldn't the IQ look good for any camera with images at this size? What makes these look good are the photographer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Yup. What Mauve said.... can't put art in an equation.

PS. Your daughter is beautiful...

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    These cameras take wonderful pictures. Screw all the spec snobs!

• Like Like x 5
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks Alan.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks so much.

The carp is with the 9-18. I sold that lens, but I can't stop thinking about it, lol! If the 12mm isn't all that, then I'm going back to the 9-18!

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Sure you can. I think the art term is usually a hyperbolic sine function. :biggrin:

Actually, the E-P1 has a sensor rating of 55, which is 4 better than the E-P3 (51) and only one below G3 (56). If anyone should be ticked about these ratings it should be Panasonic and their new sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  12. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the info---was that the :43: or the 4/3 9-18? I haven't been able to justify the huge expense to buy the zooms on either extreme end of the Oly :43: line up since I already had the equivalent 9-18 and 70-300 for my E-500. The size and weight of the 4/3 9-18 with Panny :43:adapter is not particularly bad on the E-Ps.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Micro 43. I was a Canon DSLR shoote coming to m43, so I didn't have any Oly lenses before.

• Like Like x 1
  14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    From Pelao's post on another thread re the E-P3 DXO results. totally agree with the point I underlined:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Djarum View Post
    DxOMark - Olympus PEN EP3

Not good considering that the E-P1 has a score of 55.

The biggest difference I see is color sensitivity at various ISOs is worse in the E-P3 than in the E-P1.

I usually don't put much stock into the DxO scores because I'm not sure that they always translate into real world use, but this isn't good for Olympus. However, as an E-P1 owner, and something DxO doesn't take into account is pattern(banding) noise which my E-P1 shows at ISO 1600.
    I am increasingly circumspect about their measurements. Initial reports from reviewers seem to discern dynamic increases for the E-P3 that put it in a very strong position. DXO places it equal or slightly worse than my GF1, and both below the G3.

Of course, these are only one set of measurements, and a lot of factors (from lens to photographer skills) influence real world results.

So we likely won't see boastful headlines about the E-P3 DXO results, or how it 'kills' another camera; but I bet we see a lot of great photographs made using this camera.
    Last edited by Pelao; Today at 11:10 AM.

• Like Like x 2
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    @penfan - just visited your .me site. Great work. Loved the fire hydrant shot in Boston. Was that in front of the MIT falling down building? Great use of the backdrop texture.

16. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks. No, the photo of the fire hydrant was actually in front of the New England Aquarium.

17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    maybe that's the point. When people spend too long reading reviews and tests, they won't be taking great photos. these have heart and soul.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I still love my E-P1. Still creates great images. I have my quibbles with it, but overall, I still think it is a solid camera.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Shame about that E-P1...obsolete and unloved :)

20. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    My EP1 will be alive and kicking for a while, great post!!

• Like Like x 1