Ring light for zoom video

Real Name
Walter
I was looking forward to the article. but . . .
Man the CNN people have a weird idea of what good lighting looks like.
In both of their examples I prefer the "before" pix. The "after" pix have overexposed highlights on the face that makes the face look BAD.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/07/cnn-...ghts/index.html?iid=CNNUnderscoredHPcontainer
Hahaha... Totally agree with you. The after photos look awful. Pretty much as bad as you'd expect a direct light shining at the face would look like. A soft box or umbrella would have looked a lot better. I have seen ring lights (aka halo lights) being marketed as being the best thing for vlogging. I don't get it. :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Ring lights are OK, but they are not a "silver bullet."
I think with a ring light, the face will look FLAT, with no definition of the nose and facial features. Maybe better to illuminate someone with DEEP eye sockets.

I used a ring light on my stereo microscope, to look at a coin. ugh. The ring light made it harder to see the 3D surface of the coin, because there were no shadows to see the texture of the coin's surface. A desk lamp from the side worked MUCH better.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
They're not my jam but ringlights are a cheap and easy way to get not-terrible lighting.

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
Yeah, my zoom video lighting is terrible, but I don't think their examples of a ring light is an improvement. It's not terribly far from a builtin flash look.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom