1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ring flash / ring lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by uhhitsfuzzy, Mar 11, 2014.

1. uhhitsfuzzy

uhhitsfuzzy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Anybody here using a ring flash for portraits? What brand? Model? Third party? Reviews? Recommendations?

Same with a ring light for videos. Brand? Reviews? Third party? Model? Reviews? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
  3. chrisada

chrisada Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2014
    Thailand
    Which flash unit did you use with the orbis, if I may ask?

4. uhhitsfuzzy

uhhitsfuzzy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
  5. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    The m43 photos, I used a FL-36R.

For the Fuji photo, I used a more powerful Metz 44.

Hope that helps!

6. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Haven't used the YongNuo MR-58.. but your example has more than 1 light and is heavily touched up.

2 lights shooting from left and right towards the model. But not sure why her Left ear is dark..?

Another light to separate the model from the background.

Doubt that the catch light in her eye is real. :confused:

7. uhhitsfuzzy

uhhitsfuzzy Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    thanks for all the info. Im still waiting for a good deal on orbis and metz 52-58. Any info about ring lights? The ring flash will be for me for normal shooting. Ring light will be for my gf when she starts doing her make up tutorial on youtube lol

8. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I've been using the F&V R-300 for about a year now. It's clear that it was designed for DSLR frames / lenses and not the mirrorless u43 form factor but I've made it work. I'm actually kicking around the idea of designing my own ringlight for the smaller bodied cameras but that's a bit on the back burner...

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Olympus makes one for 4/3 and mu-43: SRF-11.

There's a couple on eBay.

It works with adapter rings for various lenses; there's one for the 60mm Macro as well as ones for the 4/3 macro lenses.

10. perpetualjon

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Would be nice if someone would make one that's a continuous light for us u4/3 video shooters...

11. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  12. perpetualjon

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I've actually seen a couple of examples of DIY ring lights but I am more of a move around the space shooter rather than bring the subject to me. I like the ring light to be attached to my camera. I've been working with the F&V R-300 for a while and it is definitely a light weight, portable light but just doesn't fit well around the u4/3 frame. Either I or someone else needs to come up with a really bright LED ring light that will mount on filter threads. I don't care if I have to wear a belt full of Sony camcorder batteries to run it but to have the freedom to move around with a nice ring light following my camera would be a dream come true...

13. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Should be possible to make something with the bright LED strips, I've got some I installed under the kitchen cabinets, they're smd5050 strips, available in 2 color temps.

The 5050 are brighter than all the other strips I looked at, but that was over a year ago.

Iirc, power consumption is about 10 watts per foot. Voltage is 12vdc.
    A 7ah UPS battery should be able to run for at least a couple hours.

You can get a 12v PWM dimmer for under $5 if you want to vary the brightness.

Googling for
    diy led ring light
    Finds several results, btw.

Barry

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mu-43 mobile app

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Btw, those led strips may not be bright enough for non-close ups.

Barry

15. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    The universal Ray Flash (large size) is only marginally compatible with an Olympus E-M5 OM-D...it seems to depend a lot on what lens and flash you're using. It works OK-ish with an Olympus 45mm 1.8 and FL-600R, but the 12-40 is a little too big.

16. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I have a Meike FC100 I got on fleabay for not much (don't remember) - about $50, I think.
    Runs on AA's, it's LED, has adapters for every filter size in the book, small, light, compact, installs & removes easily.
    It will do left only flash, right side only flash, full ring flash and full ring continuous for video.
    Battery pack w/control panel sits in hotshoe.
    I like it - not high-end equipment obviously but good for macro and closer set-ups like portraits.
    Seems fairly well-built to me at the price.
    Mates well with my E-M5.

It doesn't blend . . .

• Like Like x 2