1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ring flash for Olympus EM-10 (dentist)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Walls, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Walls

Walls New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2015
    Spain
    Hello there,

My wife is a dentist (orthodontist) and she needs a ring flash for her Olympus EM10 + macro lens (actually we are still looking for the right lens in this other topic). Regarding the flash, we found we have to buy all these parts:
    • Olympus FR-2 adapter
    • Olympus FS-FC1 Macro Flash Controller
    • Olympus RF-11 Ring Flash
    This is really expensive so we wonder if there is any cheaper alternative.

Thank you for your help!

2. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Here is an old thread that addresses your question.

Ring Flash for OMD?

I also plugged the same info into Amazon and got several options.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Can you give us an example of what do you need to do? Maybe a link to a website?
    Do you need to take pictures of the teeth while the patient says "Ahhhh"

This to understand required power, working distance, etc. A common orthodontist lamp could be enough and easier to use.

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think those were made for Olympus's older 4/3rd DSLR cameras and macro lenses. Not sure how well they would work on an M43 setup. You can get generic ring flashes or lights and adapt them to your camera. You will have to shoot manually, of course, but that isn't a big problem because you'll have a controlled situation.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Walls, the items you mentioned in your opening post were designed for 4/3 format, before m4/3 came along. They work on Olympus m4/3 cameras as they share the same flash protocol, we've been using these in our lab for many years now on m4/3. Before investing in this system, I recommend trying the Olympus FL-300R, it has plenty of power for the short working distance and it tilts on a 45 degree forward angle.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It works, you just need the ring adapter for whichever Oly macro lens you use (35, 50, or 60mm macro).

I sold my dad's set for about $400 on ebay.

Barry

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Metz mecablitz 15 MS-1 digital Macro Ring Flash seems to be about the only 3rd party alternative that supports wireless TTL on olympus as far as I remember when I looked at it. Still not incredibly cheap.

Ring LEDs can be handy as a tool to have on you, but I'd never use one for medical imaging purposes on the inside of someone's mouth. They really don't illuminate very strongly as compared to a 'proper' flash and you'd be trying to get the light in someone's mouth hole, which is not going to be easy (most are designed to spill light out as wide as possible for even illumination some distance from someone's face).

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Walls

Walls New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2015
    Spain
    Thanks for your help! I was looking for something cheap, just like the link shared by Jfrader: Amazon.com: Yongnuo MR-58 Professional LED Macro Ring Flash for DSLR Camera Canon Nikon Nikon D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D3, D3S, D700, D3000, D5000, D3100, D7000, D5100, D4, D800,: Camera & Photo

I thing we already know the camera-lens combination we will use:
    • Olympus EM-10
    • Panasonic 30 mm f/2.8 macro
    Do you know any ring flash compatible with these combination?

Regarding the type of photos, she needs to take photos when the patient is laying on the dental chair, that's why she needs a macro lens. If she uses a regular lens, the patient has to be laying on the ground (otherwise she won't be able to focus). I have just googled "photography in orthodontics" and this result is similar to the images she has to take.

9. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Another vote for the Metz mecablitz 15 MS-1 digital Macro Ring Flash. Cheaper than the olympus offerings and will get the job done, particularly for orthodontics. I don't think you'll need the polar eyes unless your taking shades.

• Winner Winner x 1