1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Ring Flash Bracket For Fl300r

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by humzai, May 20, 2012.

1. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I want to use the Fl300r flashes like the Nikon R1 system with something similar to the sx-1 bracket and I can't seem to find anything like it. I have found some larger flash bracket but nothing so small. does anyone make one? Thanks

353_4795_SX-1-Attachment-Ring_front.

2. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    If you find such a solution I'd love to see it. Macro flash has been completely ignored by Olympus and Panasonic, and having sold my MT-24EX I'm dying for a good macro flash solution for M43!

I thought about using a couple FL-300Rs like the Nikon R1C1, but the heads are pretty small, so you'd have to get them REALLY close to avoid making them a point light source.

Right now my best solution is a Lumiquest Mini Softbox and an FL-36R on a piece of strap metal and a mini ball head. That gets me a very large light source at the camera's upper-left, but it doesn't have the same versatility of movement that dedicated twin flash systems have.

Here's an oooold picture of this setup when I used it with my 350D:
    [​IMG]

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about the Olympus FL-BKM01 Twin Flash Bracket?

21hB1iIccSL.

I'm a little confused though, why are you trying to set up the FL-300R to operate like the Nikon R1 system, when Olympus has an entire Macro Flash Controller (FC-1) system superior to the Nikon R1 system (the Olympus system doesn't rely on the wireless optical commander only found on certain Nikon bodies), which can operate both a Macro Twin Flash (TF-22) or a Macro Ring Flash (RF-11). The entire Twin Flash kit with controller is the STF-22, and the Ring Flash kit with controller is the SRF-22.

Macro Twin Flash Kit:
    [​IMG]
    Macro Ring Flash Kit:
    [​IMG]

Unless you already have your two FL-300R flash units and want to save money on a new purchase, or you want a setup which is more compatible with any type of lenses (in which case you shouldn't be comparing with the Nikon R1 system, which is also lens mounted)...

These are the lens compatibilities for the Olympus Macro Twin Lights and the Macro Ring Flash: http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/accessories/flashes/compatibility/
    If you want to mount this onto lenses outside of the compatibility list, it shouldn't be that hard to modify the mount for your lens, at least not if you're going to a smaller diameter lens.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I don't know how you can make a statement like that, obviously you haven't done any research or visited the Olympus site. Olympus has been a leader in macro and flash systems since the '70s with the introduction of the OM-1. You can look here for starters.

Electronic Flashes | OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM | Olympus Imaging Asia

5. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Olympus WAS a leader in macro. Their OM macro lenses were top-of-the-line. Their flash off-the-film flash metering was excellent for its day. They carried forward some of that into Four Thirds with the STF-22. But the STF-22 is not fully compatible with Micro Four Thirds.

Like I said, Olympus has ignored macro flash for Micro Four Thirds. Their best effort is the MAL-1, which is a laugh. Metz has the best unit available in the 15 MS-1, and even that isn't fully compatible with all M43 bodies.

In fact, Olympus has ignored macro entirely with M43. The 60/2.8 will be their first macro lens for the system.

I did my research. Actually, I posted on this forum a while back about this very subject: https://www.mu-43.com/f106/macro-lighting-14292/

The state of macro on M43 is sad, considering Olympus' heritage as a serious macro system. We're left to do what photographers have been doing for ages: hack up our own awkward rigs.

6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    They are indeed fully compatible with m43. We use them on a daily basis at our research center.

7. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Interesting, I've read reports that the STF-22 has problems on some M43 bodies, especially on Panasonic bodies.

So, it works! That's great news! If you don't mind, I have a few questions that I hope won't derail the thread:

1) Which camera bodies have you used the STF-22 on? Any problems?

2) Does it meter accurately with TTL?

3) On the adapter ring for the twin flashes, how do the heads mount to the ring? Is it a standard hot shoe, or some kind of custom mount, like Canon and Nikon use?

Selling my MT-24EX was the biggest downgrade for me dumping my Canon macro gear, and if I can get an STF-22 to make life easy again I'm veeeery interested!

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds flash systems are the same thing. :) The obvious exception is of course accessories which use the accessory port of the PEN and OM-D systems, like the FL-M1 and FL-M2 remote commanders.

9. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    From what I've read that's not entirely true; the wireless flash protocol is different between Olympus and Panasonic bodies. I admit I've never tried using my GH-1 to trigger my FL-36R wirelessly, though.

Also, the old FL-14 flash (circa E-10, E-20, E-100, and E-1) doesn't work properly on newer Four Thirds bodies and Micro Four Thirds bodies, from what I've read.

All is moot to me of course if the STF-22 happens to work perfectly with the EM5 and GH1!

10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I hear what you're sayin', sounds like we have something in common, I LOVE MACRO

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    That would be kinda tough being that Panasonic cameras 100% do not support wireless flash capability (unless you use 3rd party radio triggers).

that would also be why their wireless protocol is different...Olympus has it, Panasonic doesn't :)

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Panasonic does not have a wireless flash protocol at all. You can still trigger your FL-36R from your GH-1, but only as a dumb slave from the pop-up flash with no TTL capabilities. That is because Olympus had the courtesy of including a standard dumb slave sensor which can be triggered from any camera. Just turn your FL-36R to SL mode (Manual or Auto).

13. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    So you're a 'New Member' now Ned? Maybe something magical happens when you exceed 4000 posts?

14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    HaHa .... I just noticed that.

15. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    So it sounds like the stf-22 ring is what I was looking for.

16. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    But will it secure a normal hot shoe?

17. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Excellent! The STF-22's ring sounds much like the MT-24EX's ring. The thread sockets will be handy; I used them with to put my MT-24EX heads on a mini tripod for tabletop shooting at times.

The STF-22's flash head ring has 67mm and 72mm male threads, correct? That's what I get reading this:

Olympus DSLR, PEN & digital compact cameras, voice recorders, binoculars & accessories | Olympus Imaging Australia

It seems then all I'd need to connect to the front of my Panasonic 45/2.8 is a 46-to-67mm step-up ring. That would be ideal; I've got rings all over the place.

I love macro, and there's nothing quite like the quality of light you get from twin flash heads inches from your subject. I'm definitely going to get an STF-22 if it's just a simple matter of a step up ring to mount to my 45/2.8.

18. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    I guess I should have done this last year when I was first researching the STF-22, but I just got this from Olympus:

Thank you for contacting Olympus Technical Support.

Yes, the Olympus STF-22 is compatible with all micro four third cameras,
    the TTL metering used for this flash is the same as in m4/3.

If you require additional assistance please reply to this email leaving the
    complete history intact.​

Much what Sammyboy told me, but I figured someone out there might be interested to hear that Olympus officially says the STF-22 is compatible with M43. Not just with their cameras, but with "all micro four thirds cameras".

Also, I just saw that Calumet has the STF-22 for $610. Everyone else (Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc) has it for $740, so that's quite a deal. It's not in stock, but for $130 I'm willing to wait for the next shipment! Hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

Sorry to semi-derail your thread, Humzai. I'll post pics of the ring when I get it, if that would help you out. :)

19. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Just got my STF-22 tonight and wanted to follow up on a couple things:

1) It does indeed work perfectly with my EM5. Thanks a LOT for setting me straight, Sammyboy. My research made me write off the STF-22, but it's an awesome unit. I've only played with it briefly but so far I like it better than my MT-24EX. The programmable-duration illuminators are especially nice.

2) Humzai, I'm not sure if the ring from the STF-22 will work with your FL300R's. It might.

I just attached my FL36R to it and the cold shoe area is deep enough to accept most of the FL36R shoe, and when I crank the dial lock down tight it's very secure. If the FL300R has a similar clamping mechanism it should work great. But from the pictures I've seen of the FL300R it doesn't have such a mechanism, does it?

The ring itself appears to be very well made. Most of the ring itself is metal. The shoe pieces are plastic. You can move the shoes around the ring steplessly, and the ring is a two-piece design that settles into position but can be rotated to turn both heads without "unlocking" them from their position on the ring. Should make it easy to switch between landscape and portrait orientation, for example.

If the FL300R's have a way to clamp themselves down to a cold shoe, this might be a great adapter ring for you, Humzai. If you want a picture of the ring showing my FL36R mounted, let me know.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the ring itself has a 67mm thread to screw onto a lens that takes a 67mm filter. Most lenses will obviously need a step-up ring.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ckrueger,
    I'm very glad to hear you like it, when you get chance, please post some photo's that you took using it and photo's of the equipment it's self. I'm quit sure there are many here that would be interested. It's a shame that this piece is almost a secret to most m43 users.

2) Humzai, I'm not sure if the ring from the STF-22 will work with your FL300R's. It might. ...... One of the guys at the research center tells me the FL-300R can be secured by carefully locating and drilling a small hole to accommodate the locking pin on the FL-300R shoe.