1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Right that's it!!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Iansky, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well, after months and months of contemplation, soul searching, review reading, forum reading and talking to owners, I have finally decided to take the plunge:groups_cuddle:

I blame mainly all you posters of information, thoughts and superb images on this forum for my decison:

I have decided to trade in my D700 (used 2 times a year for past 3 yrs) and 4 lenses plus my GX1 + 14-45 * 45-175 and instead I am getting the following kit:

OMD+12-50
    45mm f1.8
    75mm f1.8
    Pany 100 - 300mm f4
    HLD-6 grip + spare battery
    Oly FL-600R flash unit

I am keeping my Pany 25mm f1.4 lens to use with the camera and figure this will now offer me one kit with a good selection of lenses in a small light and portable collection with very high IQ that matches many APS-C cameras.

I can no longer justify keeping the Nikon kit to use twice a year and would in turn prefer a kit that I will use a lot with a set of stellar lenses (in particular the 25/45/75 super fast ones), I have been delighted with my GF1 & now the GX1 but feel the draw to the OMD has finally won over.

I have told the shop I am dealing with (straight swop) to let me know when they have everything so I can collect all together rather than in parts and in the meantime will continue to use my X100.

In all fairness, the constructive comments / advice and user photos posted on this site have played a major part in my decision and your postivity has been further endorsed by a good friend (also an ex PJ) who has the OMD and swears by it - so thank you one and all for dragging me into the pool and I now wait and salivate until it's arrival.

Mu43 rules :drinks:

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Ian
    I think this is a superb kit and you will love OMD . I would probably swap 12-50mm for a 12 mm as you shoot a lot of wide angle shots .
    MFT Rules
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

:thumbup::thumbup::drinks::drinks::drinks:

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    That's good news.
    You were quite the inspiration back when you impressed with your GF1 pics - especially black&white.
    Seeing someone so dedicated and professionally connected to photography discarding his FF-gear is quite the relieve, I must admit. Encourages me - and I'm sure many others - to believe that FF is not the holy grail of photography which magically turns every actuation into a keeper. :wink:
    It's really disillusioning sometimes, when you read real photographers' opinions on cameras, raving about IQ and whatnot, only to end with "but for the important stuff I keep my FF gear."

Cheers!

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Agreed

Thanks for the kind comments - not leaving, just evolving!

I do have to agree to adopting the position of "Full frame for best" but, if I only use it twice a year then that is not worth the depreceation of cost on unused kit.

I have seen some amazing images / portraits in particular taken with the 75mm f1.8 and the bokeh and IQ was stunning so more than meets my requirements now as most of my images end up on the web or if printed do not exceed 11x14" so well within the OMD's capability - the other lenses (primes) offer superb IQ and as much as I would consider the 12mm instead of the 12-50, cost is the issue so it will have to wait.

I have read many mixed comments about AF tracking and as I tend to visit a couple of airshows a year I am hoping this will suffice with the 100-300 Pany lens so any feedback / advice on this will be very much appreciated.

5. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    Nice! :smile:

I may eventually do something similar with my Pentax gear. We'll see once I get my Oly E-PL2 and start playing around with it.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The only problem with that kit is that I can't have one too.

7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I moved to the OMD E-M5 almost a year ago, and then I got the urge a month or so ago to go back to the digital 35mm. I did not have the D800 for 3 weeks before I took it back and purchased some more E-M5 equipment. I really did not see a difference in the image of the two cameras, but I did notice a big difference in how my back felt carrying the equipment and using it. A lot of my photography friends are also contemplating buying an EM-5 as well. :drinks:

8. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Stunning kit! Hope that you enjoy using it and look forward to seeing your images!

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Nice kit! I suspect that you are going to use it an awful lot more than twice a year! :rolleyes: :wink:

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Based on your past posts, I think we are all going to benefit from your decision. I can't wait to see your output with your new equipment.

11. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Thanks all for the support and comments.

It will certainly be my "kit of choice" even though I will still keep the X100 - It has been a long process of contemplation but the longer I keep an unused kit, the less value it retains especially now we have the D800 so it is time to part company before I lose any more money on it.

In fairness, I did use the D700 extensively for the first couple of years until I got my GF1 and learn't to appreciate small camera/big quality and since then it has been a sleeper apart form the 2 airshows a year and occasional portrait sessions.

Sad to see it go but, onwards and upwards and I am looking forward to the OM-D experience enveloping me in it's tender wings.................if not, I can see myself being forced to sleep outside rather than face a severe "Ear Bashing from Er indoors".

12. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I rarely use my D300 myself. The only thing that is stopping from selling off all my Nikon gear is the CAF performance on the 4/3 bodies. Although to be honest I really have not missed it yet. Plus part of me worries that sooner or later Nikon will introduce something similar to the OMD.

Also I'm pretty sure the CAF performance on the OMD will work well at the airshows. Now if you were shooting moving object at a sideline then that would be a different story.

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Given how rapidly the value of camera bodies depreciates I would say that you made a very wise choice. Why hold on to something that you aren't using? :cool:

14. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Hmm...you might want to reconsider keeping the Panny 14-45 rather than buying the Oly 12-50. I have both lenses that I use on an E-PL5, but use the Panny 90% of the time. It's sharper and more compact. The only real advantage of the Oly is the decent macro capability at 43mm. But, it is no comparison to the Oly 60mm macro lens or Pan/Leica 45mm macro.

15. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Dump the 12-50, the 25PL, the 45mm, the 75mm are the best!

16. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I recently sold off my Nikon DSLR and lenses - which I had been holding onto for airshows, and eschewed for my MFT gear anyway.

17. lescox

lescox Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can add the 17mm f/1.8 too. Ignore the early reviews; have a look at a few of the images in this forum to see just what it can do. You have to look very hard now to find a negative comment anywhere and for me it has become the lens de jour.

The IQ from the 45mm ( I have it) and the 75 (I want it) can be stunning but the shear versatility of the 17mm means its the one that is on the front of the OMD 80% of the time.

18. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1

I've got the 12, both 17s, 25, 45, and 75 and I'm finding the 17 F/1.8 is the lens that's living on my E-M5 because of the versatility of the focal length and because I like the look of the files I get. If the 17mm focal length works for you, the new lens is a very nice choice.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you do much on camera flash, try shooting with both cameras using the FL-600 in TTL mode. I have the Metz AF 50-1 and there is less delay (from the TTL flash metering) with the GX-1 than the OM-D and the AWB & exposure is better with the GX-1.

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have let the Pany 14-45 go as it is (was) a lens I did not use much, the 12-50 will offer me a macro capability and weather sealing as well as being a good "all purpose walk around lens" - I may perhaps consider letting it go later if & when I can afford a 12mm.

I went with the FL-600R as it will allow me to use the FL-600R off camera via commander and some of the reviews / videos shows this to be a great option and will be for some of my portrait work (if it proves a success I may get another to use as fill / background light).

I am really looking forward to having one consolidated "prime" kit and now that the IQ of Mu43 and in particulare OMD has been proven to be in certain aspects on par with the D700 (this was reported by DXO who tested the two) it is a real "No brainer" especially as I am looking at nothing larger than 11x14" and mostly on line images.

I am very much looking forward to getting my hands on the 75mm as all the reviews rate it very highly even wide open with great bokeh so I think it will prove itself to be a perfect portrait lens (space permitting) and offer an alternative to the magical 45 f1.8.

I am getting excited by the impending arrival and challenges of learning to use it correctly that lie ahead.

Again, please let me say a big thanks to all you OMD owners on this site who have through your comments / images convinced me I am doing the right thing.