Rigged Argus 50/3.5 Cintar (from C3) to E-P3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by KBeezie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Ok, so the other day I busted apart a mamiya sekor lens to use it's rear-element and course that wasn't too classy as what that involved was duct-taping it's aperture assembly to a LTM adapter.

Well I got around to messing with the ring for my T-Mount to PK adapter, and got to thinking "Isn't this about the same size as my Argus C3 Lens?", so I dug that up.

1) Remove the lens by unscrewing the main screw on the bottom to remove the lens completely.
    2) Remove the 4 screws around the lens barrel to remove the housing so it's just the lens and threads.
    3) Unscrew the three screws on the T-Mount adapter to take out the threaded ring.

Now he's the funny part.

4) Take a Series 6 retainer ring (you remember those old Series 6 filters?), pop one in face down (the most secure direction in this case otherwise you're having to screw the lil screws in all the way just to reach the rear threading).

5) Take the lens and just drop it in, note the picture below it's a perfectly snug fit and it's flush up against the lip of the read thread.

6) take another Series 6 retainer ring and screw it on top thus locking the lens in place.

Working distance:
    - with just the base ring in the Tmount adapter, it's somewhat beyound infinity, I figured I could probably use a spacer to bring this up to infinity or close.
    - adding a second retainer ring and then dropping the lens into that, working distance is around 6-7 feet.
    - adding yet another retainer ring (as shown in the picture) working distance is around a foot and a half, the sample picture is done with this configuration.

If I had yet another retainer ring I could even pop on one of my old Series 6 UV filter after I've set the aperture I wanted (... but why bother).

The lens mounted on the camera via Series 6 -> Tmount adapter -> PK to Micro 4/3.

argus.

The assembly, on the right you'll see the lens barrel that was removed, and on the left one of the series 6 retaining rings.
    argus_set.

without the locking ring on top you can see just how snug if not perfect fit the lens is, just need to put that retaining ring on front to keep the lens from moving or falling out.

argus_fitting_snug.

Sample Photo at 3 retaining rings (~1.25 ft working distance) , f/5.6 on the lens.

argus_sample_small.

Link to full resolution jpeg ~2.7MB : http://i.xlu.be/pen_ep3/argus_sample_full.jpg

:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Tomorrow if I get a chance to get out, I'll give it a try with the "2 ring" setting (approx 6-7 foot working distance).

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I found my tiffen 49mm to series 6 adapter, thus allowing me to put that in front with a rear 49mm filter cap (metal) to act as a screw on lens cap (but could also allow me to screw on 49mm filters backwards.)

4. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Some quick and dirty handheld test at "2 ring" setting (approx working distance around 6 foot). Exposure/brightness was adjusted in raw, since I had the strobe going at the lowest brightness.

f/5.6
    argus_2ring_56.

f/3.5
    argus_2ring_35.

f/8
    argus_2ring_8.

5. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Got bored and decided to do a self portrait at the "2 ring" distance. If I walk heel to heel to the camera it's about 5 and a half steps (I'm a size 10.5 US shoes).

f/5.6 under strobe.

argus_self_full.

100% crop

argus_self_crop.

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Some "3 ring" samples from some other stuff in the house.

Of the cat... shedding the carpet (cropped, between f/4 and f/5.6).
    argus_cat_3ring.

Two of my nook cover (f/8)
    argus_oberon_3ring.
    argus_oberon2_3ring.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Some outside shots:

"3 ring" config (1.5 ft focusing). F/4

[​IMG]

And with the "2 ring" (around 5ft focusing) configuration at f/5.6.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I would hope that you realize that instead of removing the lens completely you have disassembled the lens leaving the focusing mount on the body.

To properly removed the lens from a C, C2, or C3 you do the following:

1. Unscrew the cap over the gear connecting the RF gear with the lens.
    2. Lift off the middle gear
    3. Unscrew the complete lens.

You now have a screw mount (unique to the C series) lens complete with its focusing mount and can mount the tele that was offered for the camera. Or, more likely for a denizen of this forum, cobble together a mount adapter to put the complete lens on a m43 body.

9. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    um... I know this, but I wouldn't have been able to utilize the lens in the fashion I did if I had all that gear in the way. (wouldn't have been able to drop it right into a series 6 retaining ring without any rigging of PVC etc).

And yes I know that in the fashion that I removed the lens (which is actually proper by the way), is the way you do so if you wish to attach either the wide or telephoto offering that Argus had for the C3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    While the way you disassembled the lens may have worked well for your purposes, it is not the correct method for removing the lens and attaching another. See these instructions:

Attached Files:

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    And you're getting all nit-picky on me about this why.... ? I'm just trying to share how I did something and what it's results were, not get criticized for something completely unrelated to the results.

12. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I just wanted to correct you miswording, not your method.

I wouldn't want someone reading this to think that your method of disassembling the lens barrel is the normal method for removing the lens from a C-series Argus for purposes of exchanging it for another.

13. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I would just hope that someone reading would have enough reasonable deduction to see that I was only doing that for the purpose of getting it to fit into some series 6 retaining rings which is anything but the normal thing to do.