Ricoh GXR? any good?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Dec 22, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm thinking about buying a GXR.. also with 50mm slide in Lens (which kinda looks Hokie to me!!) ..or some of the others that they offer.. kinda different.. I don't really know a lot about Ricoh Cameras.. but curious.. .. your opinions and feedback are vital to me and all opinios good or bad would be appreciated.. just fishing around here with GAS.. new Cameras intrigue me.. :smile:

P.S. also how is the resale value of Ricoh Cameras vs Olympus, Fuji, Panasonic and other cameras..??
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd just order one from Amazon. If you don't like it return it!
  3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    what lens did you order?
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I had a GX100 before some cretin in Rome relieved me of it. It was the best-handing P&S I've ever used...
  5. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    Don't know about the GXR but the Ricoh GRD3 is a fantastic little that I reach for more often than not. It has capabilities beyond it's apparent size. I have used it for landscape, cityscape, night shots, street shots.

It is not 110pc perfect, and I understand the GXR is not......but what it can do more than makes up for it.

Take a look at the site. Forum index is here.

Ricoh Forum • Index page
  6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Sorry.. I thougt you said you just ordered one.. my mistake..
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ricoh have always been an interesting player. The GXR is no exception. In terms of image quality, all the APS-C modules they have are very good, and the body seems to be quite well designed. The downside is that it's fairly chunky, and certain operations, particularly AF, have been quite slow, at least up to now.

As for resale value, Ricohs are rare enough that finding a buyer is probably going to be a trick. The market for used m4/3 gear is easily 20-30x larger.

I looked at the GXR a year back, but ultimately decided against it because the m4/3 lens lineup was just more practical.

8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1 on that.. I have EPL3 and the lens line-up is as you say.. m4/3 gear has more choices! I think I will just pass for now on the GXR.. I will stick with my EPL3 and the 14/2.5, 20/1.7, PL25/1.4 and 40-150 for time being.. waiting for a FAST ZOOM from Oly or Panny.. shessh.. I'm never happy as it seems to be.. :)
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    If you have M-mount glass, I'd seriously consider the GXR with appropriate module - Ricoh makes some fantastic bodies, are very good at designing the user interface (I used to own a GRD1) and their 12mp aps sensor is fantastic.

However, if you're planning to buy one of the native lens modules, I think there's equal or better options in MFT, especially as you already have several bodies...