Ricoh GR

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by xsa8, May 26, 2013.

1. xsa8

xsa8 New to Mu-43

May 24, 2013
    Just got my GR. Pretty happy with it. Will post more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Cool, I'm eagerly awaiting them to hit the shelves in Canada. Please share some more!

3. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I just picked one up too. After shooting it for about 5 minutes Im strongly considering ditching everything else haha. It really is that good...

4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I did consider one of these before getting my X100 but I can't live without a viewfinder. Looks great though and credit to them for designing it and keeping the price reasonable.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Post more sample shots.. some in color, if you have!

6. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
  7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I sold my MFT kit a couple of weeks ago to cover some expenses... but when I found a single GR sitting on a store shelf for $719, I couldn't resist.

Great camera! Just as customizable as the EM5, if not moreso.

If it had an EVF, I'd be in heaven. Has anyone tried it with a hotshoe OVF? The Voigtlander 28mm looks pretty good, but it's another $200...

• Like Like x 4
  8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Looking forward to hearing more from your experiences.

Ben... the image you posted has great definition... landscapes like that are a very good test. I would imagine the full size image is wonderful.

I have a GR in route to me this week, as well.

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Don, the resolution is superb -- great lens and no AA filter!

The image was shot at f/2.8.

Here's a center crop at 100%:

crop4.

and a corner (doesn't quite match up with the larger image above, since that's also a crop):

crop21.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Very nice! thanks.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I've been shooting the GR for about 2 months now and I can say with confidence that is now my favourite camera...I also shoot with an EM5 and some of the finest m43 lenses, I also shoot the RX1...but it is the tiny GR that I've come to appreciate the most and I can say without hesitation that if i had to let go of one, it would be the RX1 that goes on eBay before the GR. Even now I'm still blown away that such a small and unassuming camera can produce such excellent files, I mean this thing as about the size of 3 iPhones stacked on top of each other as is 'genuinely' pocketable. While my m43 kit is more versatile and the incredible files I get from my RX1 are technically superior, the GR offers me the opportunity to pocket a 'go anywhere anytime' camera without compromising image quality. And yeah, it is extremely customisable.

Don...I as you know I have shot with and still own many of the very best m43 primes and zooms and I can say without doubt the GR outresolves anything I've used in that general focal range....think Oly75mm grade resolution and sharpness but in a 28mm eqv and then some. However, I must make this clear...I really dig my m43 gear and I think the GR fits in quite superbly so for me it's not an either/or scenario as I find they can co-exist VERY comfortably and compliment each other.

Whether I'm out hiking/fishing I can still carry my m43 gear knowing that in my shirt pocket I have a seriously potent sharp as a tack 28mm equivalent landscape shooter. And when I am in an urban environment on a busy lunch break or trip into town on business I have in the GR a very discrete and purpose built street shooter.

Here's some of my GR work.

9178403567_28518e0bc0_b.
    Treasury Gardens. by Livnius, on Flickr

9178352321_6e12abe3fd_b.
    ricohGR-17 by Livnius, on Flickr

9178376217_79446e7e63_b.
    Late afternoon alley cafe. by Livnius, on Flickr

9178384355_11d08dc659_b.
    Slow. by Livnius, on Flickr

9178342255_1fa465a895_b.
    $23.50 by Livnius, on Flickr

9180563458_d8a5021da4_b.
    ricohGR-18 by Livnius, on Flickr

9731076314_8d8b2b8c77_b.
    Frenzy [explored] by Livnius, on Flickr

....and a little something at ISO 25,600 !!!

9067416241_3b215f45dd_b.
    [explored] Old Friend. by Livnius, on Flickr

• Like Like x 25
  12. theanser

theanser Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Great work bro!.. is the 2nd shot a single exposure? Or HDR? The dynamic range seems superb

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  13. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks. I've never shot HDR...all single shot RAW.

GR RAW files can take a hammering in Lightroom without falling apart.

14. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Love those shots Joe. Ive been eagerly waiting to see some more of your GR shots.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    The Ricoh GR for me its been a revelation. It is in fact my favorite digital compact camera. period. Yes you are stucked at 28mm (which i personally like) and the files it produces are certainly "cleaner" and "better" than my m43 gear!. In fact Id love to know what sensor is in it as id love to have a "system" camera with its sensor.

9482691001_17d20c48b6_c.
    Fill the gap... by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

Untitled by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

9616336969_0fc9e11c6d_c.
    Untitled by Chris Leskovsek, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  16. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Really great photos here guys! The GR is a pretty amazing little camera.

• Like Like x 1
  17. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

How is the color output from the jpeg? What about AF speed?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

I don't find the sooc colors produced by the GR to be as immediately pleasing as say those by Fuji who's colours I consider to be the best, to my taste everything else is a distant 2nd and 3rd. I'd say the Ricoh are nice but do tend to a slightly more subdued appearance...depending on what your preferences are you may or may not appreciate that. As a further qualifier, I'm not especially enamoured with the overly (IMO) saturated and punchy Olympus colours.

AF in good to normal light is excellent, even in heavily shaded areas.....however in very poor low light AF speeds drops off dramatically, it will still lock on eventually but it hunts back and forth for a time before doing so. For 95% of my shooting needs it has worked fine...needless to say, if you're wanting to photograph your children playing soccer in a dark alley with nothing but the light from birthday cake candles to illuminate the scene then I'd look elsewhere :eek:
    Very few cameras (if any) can match m43 gear for AF speed and accuracy in both good and low light equally.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I think you're being a bit drastic with the GR Joe in terms of AF.

I agree when you say that in good light the AF is excellent. I also agree that in low light AF drops down dramatically. Even to the point of taking up to 5 seconds before acquiring focus, which is terrible. BUT theres one thing you didn't mention. The GR has this option called 'snap focus' which is nothing but STELLAR. And when you use the snap focus option under ANY light condition, focus is obviously instantaneous. which no other camera in the market right now has. Yes you can zone focus with the O17 in m43 or with the F14 in Fuji but none of those is a one finger operation that you can change on the fly.

As for the colors on the GR, personally i find them to be what some people say 'cinematic' not oversaturated as the Oly colors, or really contrasty as the Fuji, but more like smooth, not too much, not too little, if that makes any sense. ill post some color images here.

• Like Like x 3
  20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Joe and Chris... many thanks for your comments... I have just one day more to wait before arrival of my GR and getting ever more excited after reading your comments!

Chris... I've read that the sensor is a Sony sensor. And agree that if a system camera could be developed with the body of the GR as a basis, that would be amazing. Fast forward a year or so and I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that. Camera makers, of late, are giving increasing attention to compacts with larger sensors... add that those sensors are producing even better output than in the past and we have some great output to enjoy.

Joe... I can see the GR easily coexisting along side a m4/3 kit... as well as being an ideal solo option when one wants as little hardware as possible to carry along. Really wonderful images you've created, as well. I love what you caught with the "bird woman" image and the expression on her bench mate's face... priceless!

Times are sweet indeed for we photographic image makers.

• Like Like x 2