Ricoh GR to Panasonic GX880?

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Has anyone made this move? I've gone through daily use of two GRs since 2015, one broke and the second newer one's on the way out. I don't want to go through that same level of quality control again and rather than consider a Nikon Coolpix A or Fuju XF10/X70, my mind has turned to the small sized GX880 and Pany 14mm, which from my previous experience with an EP5, was a great and fast reacting lens. Would love to hear anyone's experiences, if anyone's actually done this (and based on my searches, that may not be the case).

Real Name
Andrew L
Personally I'd get a 20MP sensor over a 16MP one. If you can afford a slight increase in size (mainly just the EVF hump) the G100 is a far, far better choice than the GX880. It's got more resolution, the same quiet shutter, a good EVF, a screen that can be flipped back on itself for careless carry in a jacket pocket, and the most recent Panasonic image science. I am not sure how "recent" the GX850/880 is but it might not have L Monochrome D, the best B&W JPEG style.

On to the question of how the transition would go, I think you'll miss the bitingly sharp, "special" look of the GR, but it can be mitigated somewhat with the higher resolution of the 20MP sensor. These bodies with a pancake lens are all going to be much thicker than the svelte GR, so you'll need to adjust your expectations of where it'll fit. And, if you can adjust to a slightly longer lens, the 20mm f1.7 is worth the difference - it has it's own kind of "special."

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Personally I'd get a 20MP sensor over a 16MP one. If you can afford a slight increase in size (mainly just the EVF hump) the G100 is a far, far better choice than the GX880. It's got more resolution, the same quiet shutter, a good EVF, a screen that can be flipped back on itself for careless carry in a jacket pocket, and the most recent Panasonic image science. I am not sure how "recent" the GX850/880 is but it might not have L Monochrome D, the best B&W JPEG style.

On to the question of how the transition would go, I think you'll miss the bitingly sharp, "special" look of the GR, but it can be mitigated somewhat with the higher resolution of the 20MP sensor. These bodies with a pancake lens are all going to be much thicker than the svelte GR, so you'll need to adjust your expectations of where it'll fit. And, if you can adjust to a slightly longer lens, the 20mm f1.7 is worth the difference - it has it's own kind of "special."
Thanks (this is rayvonn from Cameraderie btw, haven’t got round to changing my name on here?).

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I've never owned any GR, a Nikon A, or a GX880.

But I've owned 2 X70 and 4 GM1/GM5s.

I suspect the GX880 will be faster / more responsive. The X70 has an advantage over the A or the GR when it comes to "turn on and shoot" speed since the lens doesn't collapse into the body like the other two. But once turned on AF with motion (you or the subject) aren't their strong points. Did you use the snap (or is it zone) focus on the GR? There are a couple of comparison videos between the X70, GR, and A.

https://lensvid.com/gear/product-reviews/head-to-head-nikon-coolpix-a-vs-ricoh-gr-shootout/

I've also owned and used several copies of the P14, P12-32, and P20. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

The P20 has the fastest aperture, is the sharpest, and produces nice, punchy images. But if you ever found the GR a little slow to AF in lower light than you might find the same with the P20. It's also the largest and I believe the diameter extends below the body on something like the GX880 (it does on the GM1/GM5), not sure on the G100/G110. Another option might be the GX80, it's only 16mp, but has a few of the features @agentlossing noted like L Mono.

The P12-32 is the most flexible, had OIS, and is sharper than it has a right to be. But it's also a zoom that you have to extend to use. It's also the slowest aperture option, of course sometimes OIS can make up for that.

The P14? Smallest, lightest, closet focusing, and it's 28mm (something I also like a lot). I think it's the fastest AF as well, but it might be like splitting hairs compared to the P12-32. It may not be as sharp or as punchy as the P20, but not bad either. If you like the focal length the only real knock on it is at f/2.5 it's not that fast for a prime.

I currently still have a P14 and P20. The P20 because of it's qualities and the P14 for the same reason. But when it's in "replace my X70" mode, the P14 is mounted on my Pen F.

Real Name
Andrew L
The P20 has the fastest aperture, is the sharpest, and produces nice, punchy images. But if you ever found the GR a little slow to AF in lower light than you might find the same with the P20. It's also the largest and I believe the diameter extends below the body on something like the GX880 (it does on the GM1/GM5), not sure on the G100/G110. Another option might be the GX80, it's only 16mp, but has a few of the features @agentlossing noted like L Mono.
I think the GR/GRII AF is going to be quite similar in focus speed to a P20mm on a body with DfD. The former was no speed demon and the latter better than it used to be on newer bodies. I think the diameter stays about level, if I remember correctly it did on my GF7, although not on my GM5. Also the GX80 has L Monochrome but not L Monochrome D, which is more versatile in my opinion (both are good).

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the replies, my thinking is as follows:
  • It’s not going to be a Coolpix A, Fuji XF10/X70 or GR, I’ve had it with the 4 year or less lifespan of these fixed compact cameras. Quality control is a consequence of squeezing so much into so little.
  • Well, due to its size, it’s not going to be the GX100 or GX80. The GX880 isn’t as small as the GR, but it seems a lot smaller than the GX100/80. I’d say “much thicker” than a GR is subjective.
  • To me, the B&W files from the 16MP GR/GRII were generally nicer than those of the 24mp GRIII, so generally, megapickes isn’t an issue for me in that respect.
  • The Panasonic 14mm F2.5 is essential to this size issue (not the 20mm F1.7, it’ll be too slow reacting to this setup despite its wonderful rendering). I was happy with the 14mm's rendition of colour and mono files. This combination with a GX880 is thicker alright but not a lot thicker, zooms are not part of this process. I wouldn’t keep it in the pocket, that just damages cameras. But the ability to use other lenses would of course be an advantage over the GR.
  • Sharpness – this is almost unique to the GR/GRII, the only comparison I can make there is with a Zeiss Biogon on a CCD rangefinder camera, but as I said, I’d be happy enough with what the Panasonic 14mm F2.5 gives me. No AA filter with the GX880, a plus (for me).
  • The GR has a leaf shutter, an M43 camera will not, that is something I’ll have to physically check at the store, in terms of its use.
  • Tracking is an issue in the absence of snap focus – that’ll also have to be seen in person at the store.
Expectations duly adjusted, I think I’ll head down to the store to have a look at the GX880. The GRIII is not dead *yet*, I mean it still works per se, just with the lens ring and cover broken and the over on the thumb grip starting to peel. To a lot of seasoned GR users this is quite normal(!) so I’ll see how it goes, ATM this is more a backup strategy rather than urgent requirement.

Real Name
Andrew L
I do wish the GR cameras were, hmm, I was going to say more robust, but they're actually pretty robust, at least from an engineer's point of view they tick most of the right boxes. They just have... weaknesses, that frustratingly don't get addressed very fast. It's a concession I'm willing to make because I value their formula for my needs enough to take them as they are (despite the frustrations). I'm on my 2nd GR III - first one had the rear dial failure, it wasn't 100% out but I was fearing it would eventually, and the warranty was over, so I sold it at a low price making note of the defect. I thought I still got quite a good price for it, and I bought a second (when amazon had their deal on Pentax/Ricoh stuff). I bought the three year extended warranty on that one. I'm not messing around this time, I learned my lesson!

Honestly, if I were giving up the GR I really would buy an XF10 and at least shoot with it a while and see if it could be made to work for me before really going a different route. It's almost as compact and has excellent image quality, perhaps the wonky control style Fuji has decided to go with, like swiping from the edge of the screen, could all be avoided or adapted to, and the general bugginess of that camera could be overcome or ignored.

Palmor

Mu-43 Regular
I haven’t made that switch but I’ve had the GX850 twice and just bought it a third time. I broke one and lost another a couple of years ago, my third is in the mail from the FM buy/sell board (they don’t sell it in the US anymore).

Lately I’ve had the itch to replace it and have been going through the process of researching other cameras in the same size. The GR, Coolpix A and XF10 where all things I researched but I do like being able to change lenses. The only other thing in the running was a Canon M200 which is similarly sized, and with the 22mm f2 is another great option (I have the original M) but lens options aren’t really great.

Eventually I just decided to pick up the GX850 again.

IQ is excellent IMO and the 12-32 lens is a surprisingly good lens. I don’t have any experience with the 14mm but I do plan on getting it this time around. While not pocketable the 14-140 makes another good option and is light enough that it still balances OK.

For what it’s worth I have a small gallery with the camera.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnw_trishw/albums/72157682202919754/with/35332115086/

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
The ability to change your mind, no matter how wedded you are to the 14, makes a “mini” ILC a better investment. People torture themselves with mega pixels, sensor size, equivalent aperture, etc. In the end it’s you that makes the shot. Having some reach at times helps. I use a GM1 + PL15, O25/1.8 and P12-32. I love it. Also have the P20. Don’t like it with the smaller body. Dreadfully slow focusing (on any body), like a pre-firmware upgrade of the original Fuji X100.

When the GM1 no longer works the GX880 will likely replace it.

Last edited:

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
It’s 2021 - surely (ok, hopefully) a new GR, presumably iv, will be released. I’ll hang on then. But thanks for the advice all.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I landed on the GX880 after the same ponderings, locally I can at the moment buy 4 of the 880s with the 12-32, and still have enough left to buy hi-grade Micro SDs for all of those and still have change over, contra the price of the GRIII (Or one GX880 and one G100).

I had a brief look at the G100, but the sizing of that one is actually larger than the GX9 in two of the three dimensions (G100 measures 116 x 83 x 54 mm (4.57 x 3.27 x 2.13″) versus the GX9, which measures 124 x 72 x 47 mm (4.88 x 2.83 x 1.85″). The GX9 weights more, though at 450/0,99 grams/lbs contra the G100s 352/0,78 grams/lbs.

I think the GX9, even at the somewhat higher weight, would win out. Thickness and height are somewhat more crucial for pocket carry than length in my opinon. I think in these two cameras it will come down to the hump and fingergrip, so the number may lie a bit.

I am somewhat keen to fingeroogle the G100, though.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
As a GX9 is my GM1’s partner, for a general purpose, always with me carry, I find the smaller GM1 tends to get the nod. Lately even before my new X100V.

Have fun,

Latest threads

Top Bottom