RICOH GR III - Images

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the input, Andrew - whilst the GR is tiny, my level of excitement upon receiving it was huge! Just ordered a couple of spare batteries (Oly Li-92B is the same as the Ricoh one, and 20% cheaper too - at least in here in the UK).

Off into Lincoln now for a walk around the Cathedral, with my new friend in my pocket. :)

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
A brief wander around the city - I'd read that the GR's lens was sharp, but wasn't quite prepared for how truly superb it is:

R0000072.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
R0000079.jpg
R0000081.jpg
R0000091.jpg

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I'd read that the GR's lens was sharp, but wasn't quite prepared for how truly superb it is
Nice shots, I really like the B&W reflections one. And yes, I briefly had a GR mk2 and whenever I look back at those images I'm blown away by their bite and clarity. I occasionally wonder how much of that is the difference between m43 and APS-C sensors and that sends me down the rabbit hole looking at Fuji, but deep down I'm pretty sure it's all about the fantastic GR lens.

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
Nice shots, I really like the B&W reflections one. And yes, I briefly had a GR mk2 and whenever I look back at those images I'm blown away by their bite and clarity. I occasionally wonder how much of that is the difference between m43 and APS-C sensors and that sends me down the rabbit hole looking at Fuji, but deep down I'm pretty sure it's all about the fantastic GR lens.

Thanks. :)

I'm sure it's the lens too - I've owned all the X100 series (not including the V) and not one of them would get anywhere near this optical performance. The X100's 23/2 is excellent once stopped down - but at f2-2.8 quite soft, and terribly so at close-focus distances. My P20-1.7 for example is a lot sharper than the Fuji and will happily do justice to hi-res on the Oly bodies. Of course the Fuji has other major strengths (colour profiles/leaf shutter etc) and is probably better in low light but as a true compact camera, I'll take the GR.

Just been for a wander round our village church - this camera's addictive! :D

R0000103.jpg
R0000104.jpg
R0000109.jpg
R0000116.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
From my year (very nearly anyway) of experience with the GR III let me recommend two small accessories: a tempered glass screen protector (literally saved the screen by taking a fall and crack awhile back) and the cheap JJC metal lens cover. This slips over the whole lens assembly, which means dust and lint from your pocket won't get anywhere into the only entry point on the camera. Also, it covers up what is essentially the only weak part of the camera aside from the screen. These two things make the camera super rugged, as I can attest from a few unfortunate knocks (everyday carry cameras are subjected to a lot simply being carried... everyday).

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the tips Andrew - appreciated. I really should've ordered the screen protector before the camera arrived, but will get onto that asap.

Saw the JJC cover online, wondered if it was any good but thanks to your recommendation I'll go for it. :)

Edit/update: Both items now ordered. :)

Real Name
Andrew L
I had a similar lens cap for the GR II but it was lined inside with velvet, which actually picks up extra dust. The JJC version I have has silicone foam inside which is smooth and easy to keep clean.

With both of these on the camera it has a very pleasing chunky ruggedness to it - to me it feels more like a film camera than a digital gadget. No knock against the initial build quality, Ricoh does a good job with the magnesium alloy shell and everything else, but their lens assembly is the obviously delicate part of the camera.

Really liking your results, you are obviously clicking with the little guy!

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
This is getting addictive :D

Loving the angles it's possible to put this tiny camera into when mounted on a 90 deg tripod arm:

R0000145-2.jpg

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
That's it - I'm hooked. :)

The GRIII is up there with my beloved Pen F for its 'just pick it up, go out and shoot photos for the hell of it feel-good factor'.

49538753652_b41dcd5075_o.jpg
49538755927_acf60d3ee7_o.jpg
49538520656_c37a62ebfc_o.jpg

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
We've had some torrential rain here across the UK, along with strong winds - today was no exception - but once the rain had stopped, I dashed off to our local woods with the GRIII:

R0000246.jpg
R0000276.jpg

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
R0000252-Edit.jpg
R0000273.jpg
R0000289.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
It's great to see another wholehearted GR convert! I finally have mine back in hand, a couple weeks is far too long to be without it. Went on a mini vacation/long weekend and I only had my Voigtlander with film, which is just so much less flexible than a go-everywhere GR in the pocket!

AaronE

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the GR I and really love it, but it is starting to show its age. Misses focus randomly even on bright sunny days. It has been in the shop twice for dust removal. Might be time for the GR III.
Keep posting photos!

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
No, please stop posting photos (kidding of course :D) - you all have got me browsing the local classifieds to check prices on used mk1 and mk2 models, and I swore I would be satisfied with the PL15 as a replacement for the GR I sold once upon a time!

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
R0000328.jpg
R0000341-Edit.jpg

Real Name
Andrew L
R0004429.JPG

Real Name
Andrew L
OOC with Nisi grad ND filter.

R0004432.JPG

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
No, please stop posting photos (kidding of course :D) - you all have got me browsing the local classifieds to check prices on used mk1 and mk2 models, and I swore I would be satisfied with the PL15 as a replacement for the GR I sold once upon a time!
I've got a mk1 if you want to buy one, lol. I got suckered into the GR3....

49554652438_c465be96cf_h.jpg
Reach for the skies by Linh Nguyen, on Flickr

Gromit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Richard
R0000384.jpg
R0000387.jpg
R0000391.jpg
R0000379.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom