1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Richard Franiec to Produce Custom Grip for Olympus E-PL3 and E-PM1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Some of you may already be familiar with Richard Franiec's custom grips for cameras such as the Olympus XZ-1, Canon S95, and Sigma DP1. Richard's highly-regarded grips are individually machined from aircraft-grade aluminum and finished in black.

I'm pleased to report that Richard just informed me that he will be producing a grip for the Olympus E-PL3, his first grip for a Micro 4/3 camera. His choice of camera is an excellent one as I have read many comments from prospective E-PL3 owners expressing a desire for some sort of grip on that camera.

Here's an image of the E-PL3 with Franiec grip taken from Richard's site:

6088519239_273dde7d42_z.

For sake of comparison, here is the same camera without Franiec grip:

For more information including pricing and availability, visit Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I should have said something sooner - there was a thread about this on DPR and Richard posted a bunch of photos (which all essentially show the same thing from different angles...). I'm looking forward to it - I think this camera really needs this or something similar. The only slight concern I have is that with a fatter lens (one that flares out from the lens mount - the 20mm and all larger Pany lenses do), the clearance between the grip and the lens might be kind of tight. Regardless, I plan to buy one (he estimated mid-September availability) and I'll test it out before permanently installing it...

-Ray

3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The Franiac grip for the Canon G9 was fantastic... it made my G9 much nicer to work with. If I had an e-pl3 I would definitely check out this grip.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Yeah, I too have his grip on my little G9. Love it. But I want one for my EP-3. I know there is supposedly one out there somewhere but the only ones I've seen are from HK and ridiculously expensive. At least with Richard you'd get a decent grip for your money. Not just a little piece of plastic. :biggrin:

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    SAWEET! Wow, what a tiny and functional camera that E-PL3 could be. ;) This actually does make it a lot more likely for me to upgrade my E-PL2 for an E-PL3 and probably not even bother with the E-P3 which is as clunky as my E-PL2 (kidding, my E-PL2 isn't clunky... but I wouldn't mind a slimmer body if it can be held practically).

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It is surprising that Olympus didn't design the e-p3 and e-pl3 with integrated finger grips.. they seem to be an important aid in handling, especially with such small cameras which can mount larger sized optics. Good on Richard for doing what camera manufacturers should have done in the first place.

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've used Richard's grips on at least three Canons, and they are just super! Turned slippery little bricks into usable compacts - magic!

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think Olympus intended that because the E-PL3 has no grip, you'll buy their Olympus branded leather cases for another $100! :wink:

9. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Seconded. Richard' product, service and instructions are excellent. His grip for the Canon S90 has helped make it the most used camera I've ever owned (with the possible exception of my Halina Paulette Electric).

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So let's see what we have here...
    - E-P3 has grip & touch screen
    - E-PL3 much cheaper, articulating screen, and a faster sequential shutter speed

E-PL3 definitely *should* be the highest seller....

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course, this makes the E-PL3 more marketable, which I 'm sure Olympus can deal with.

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if Olympus will do a Pen pro to go against the NEX-7? Integrate the E-P3 touch screen, swivel screen of the E-PL3, a built in VF, Panasonic's 16mp sensor and with m43s combined lens line-up, I could see Olympus with a real powerful camera! I wonder if Panasonic or Olympus will be up to the challenge?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Richard Franiec

Richard Franiec New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2011
    Ray,

The clearance between the lens mount and the top ridge of the "S" shape is approximately 20mm (.8 of an inch) in the narrowest spot. This gives plenty of room (about 1/4 of an inch) between my middle finger hooked around the curve and kit zoom lens. My hands are of average size.

Best wishes

Richard

• Like Like x 2
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Richard,

Thanks for the fast response.

15. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I wonder if this will be useable on an e-pm1 as well? Or would the dimensions differ between these two cameras causing this grip to not be compatible with e-pm1?

16. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Flipbac Grip on Canon S95.

Some photos showing the Flipbac Grip on the Wife's Canon S95. the Grip is made of Silicone and is very easy to install. Same 3M adhesive as Richard Franic's Grip of aluminum.

Makes the slim S95 much more secure and nicer to hold. The Grip is approx 12USD as compared to 34USD. The RF Aluminum is more "chic", than the FB but........the FB does the same job, so now we have a couple of nice options for cameras that do not have a nice grip.
    Highly Recommended.
    Dennis

17. eolake

eolake Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    Lancashire, England
    You said it, my man.

I have the grip for my S90, and I've ordered the one now for the Pen Lite. I'm a big fan, not the least because they are so beautiful.

18. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I got Richard's grip in the mail today. As expected, its a very nice piece of work and both looks and feels like a fully integrated part of the camera. I think its the last piece needed to make the EPL3 a really great camera. Its still not quite as perfect as the EP3 to hold, but now its close enough! And I tried it with the wider Pany lenses and even with the 100-300 there's plenty of clearance for your fingers.

FWIW, I also ordered a Flipbac before Richard's became available to order and figured I'd see how I liked that until I could get one of Richard's and then I'd be in a position to see which I preferred. Well, it came today as well, so I never got to do that. But I can tell you that after holding them both in position on the camera and playing around with them, it was an easy call to put Richard's grip on it. First of all, its a good deal thicker, probably half again, and gives more to grip. Second, the Flipbac is flat edge to edge so you have to avoid the curve of the camera and, best I can tell the grip part would have to be about a quarter inch or so closer to the lens. Might be better for some people, might be worse for others, but it was clear that the Franiac grip was gonna be the better fit for me. The rubber material of the Flipbac feels pretty nice, though, and they look just as well made, but Richard's is made specifically to fit these cameras and the Flipbacs are one size fits all, so I'm set...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Am i correctin believing that Franiec's grip is not rubberized? Seems like it would be somewhat slippery... I have the flipbac on my PM1 and it is very nice but a touch small. I also had to get it as far out to the edge as possible to leave comfortable clearance when the 45-200 is attached.

Honestly, Olympus.

20. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No, not rubberized. More like the integrated grip on the gf2 or G3 - same basic feel as the camera body. It's more about the shape than the material.

-Ray