Richard Franiec Grip for Panasonic GM1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I just received word from Richard Franiec that his custom grip for the Panasonic GM1 will be available in January 2014 for $34.95 plus shipping.

Richard's grips are very high quality and make a significant improvement to handling on all of the small cameras where I've tried them (Canon S95, E-PM1, Sony RX100).

More information:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    That's just two cute. Something like that would be nice on my E-p3.
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    For me, Richard's grip will be an important addition to the GM1.

I've used his grips on several other cameras that were not well-designed for a good grasp of the body and been very pleased with the improvement.
  4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
  5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I sold my PM2 and kept my PM1... all because of the Richard's grip. It just feels so good in the hand.
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'm glad that entrepreneurial companies like Richard Franiec's have an opportunity to fill a need and improve our cameras, but it's a sad commentary how many camera manufacturers are clueless as to the simple ergonomics of making a camera easy to hold while shooting with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    is the grip removable or fixed?
  8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Richard uses some special 3M doubled sided sticky tape that can be 'debonded' from the camera surface using dental floss.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I definitely think I have to get this...
  10. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Wonderful looking product. Awful web page. The GM1 link moves you to the EOS M announcement and the gallery link is totally malformed. (If you inspect the HTML, it's just a link to the EOS M gallery.)

EDIT: Photo gallery link appears to work now.
  11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Not for me, brings me straight to the correct page...

Looks good. I've considered getting one for the RX100, but gave up on that because it won't fit in its scuba housing if I do ;)
  12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Exactly. Or charge you three times as much for a piece of metal that actually makes the camera larger (higher). Seriously, how much would it have cost Panny to design a proper grip on the camera in the first place?
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Amin, thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of Franiec's grips and there will be a GM1 under the Christmas tree this year.
  14. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I don't have such a small camera, but I like the way that looks.

It's not a matter of being ignorant to our ergonomic needs, it's a matter of economics. For example, Hasselblad put a grip on a NEX-7, and now they have to sell it for $7,000 to make a profit. Rookie mistake. :)