1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reviewing my new Olympus OM-D E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by johnvanr, Sep 30, 2013.

1. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Well done review. Thanks for sharing. Glad to see you were not shooting test patterns!

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I really liked your blog posts, but the crunching of your images into the square format really distracts from your photographic abilities. Can that be corrected, or at adjusted to show a square crop of the entire image?

--Ken

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the post. In IE9 the images look fine. No page rendering oddities.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They look fine in Chrome as well. Certainly not square.

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It may be the browser that I am using. I am not at my normal machine, and am using an XP machine with IE8. I will try it on my regular machine or my iPad when time permits.

Thanks,

--Ken

7. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    Hey, thank you so much for the review!

How would you say focusing in low light has improved over EM-5?
    As an EM-5 owner, the only thing I'm disappointed about it is focus hunting in low light - it's sometimes almost useless in shooting parties or in studio with ND filter. If that's going to change, I'll get my piece ordered today!

Panu

8. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    Please check it. It looks fine on the browser I use.

Thanks

9. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
    During the model shoots, the light from the modeling lamps was sometimes pretty low. That's when some DSLRs had trouble. I didn't have any issues with the Olympus, though. I wouldn't base your buying decision just on that answer, though. I plan to run some more tests this week, comparing the E-M1 with the E-M5 and will report back if the results are worth mentioning.

10. johnvanr

johnvanr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2013
  11. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    Thanks for the update and comments.

Another thing that I'm a bit intrested in: any change in purple flaring? (appears most with Pana 7-14mm and with high ISO)
    I recall someone here making a comparison between EM-5 and some Oly PEN model (last year or so) and concluding that the PEN model had a lot less purple in the flare. I wonder how EM-5 and EM-1 compare there?

12. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I've seen sample images where the purple blobs have not been fixed on the em1

13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    at least Oly has a ultra wide coming at some point so purple blob wont be the only option :)

14. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    I visited the local store and gave it a try: With 75mm and 8ND filter on it, pointing it towards the dimly lit area of the store, E-M1 would focus in about 0,5 seconds for the first time I focus in that direction, and then refocus practically instantly when I kept repeatedly half-pressing the shutter. The same lens put on my E-M5: it would keep hunting focus on each half-press for more than one second each time, even if the focus was already spot-on and would not require any big adjustment.

I ordered the M1.