1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Reviewing images in EVF vs rear screen

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Anthonys, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I've been experiencing some missed focus shots on my GX1 when using it with my PL25mm at f1.4. The shots appear to have grabbed focus of what I wanted when I review them on the rear screen but later I discover they have picked up something else, often meaning the shot gets trashed. I guess I need to touch the area I want to focus the activate focus lock..

Any rate I've been contemplating updating the body to either a GM1, GX7 or EM10 for a variety of features. I was wondering whether they newer higher resolution rear screens are capable of revealing focus details better than the 460k last gen screens? Or whether the EVF on either the GX7 or EM10 are a better option? Do you still review images on the LCD screen or is the EVF good enough?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think an EVF is always a better option for focus confirmation. JMHO, of course.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    if you shoot RAW, turn (in-camera jpeg review) sharpening to max to make it show in obvious way

• Like Like x 1
  4. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have to agree I had no way to see the true sharpness by viewing GX1 low res LCD, despite that I consider myself with pretty good eyesight. On the other hand I have no problem seeing absolute focus with EM5 LCD

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I just recently bit the bullet and for the LVF-2, and it has made focus a lot easier to ascertain. Turning the jpeg sharpness up also helps edges seem crisper in the EVF.

•••GX1+LVF-2+Olympus 17mm f/2.8, GF3; Konica FS-1, C35v; various lenses•••