Reviewing Focus Point

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Slug, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Slug

Slug New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Darwin, Oz
    I'm not sure if this even makes sense - but I'll ask anyway .....

How can I determine when reviewing images on my PC what the actual focus point is? I'm using Lightroom 5 and OV3 (rudimentary user of both!) - but can't see the facility in either to determine the exact focus point of the image.

Thanks In advance
  2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The LR experts will need to chime in to answer your question, but I know in Aperture 3 you can see the focus distance and display the focal point as a small box on your image, so the info must be encoded in the file (at least in the RAW file from Oly bodies).
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Unfortunately, I don't believe this can be done with those programs. The information is in vendor-specific EXIF tags which Lightroom ignores. Olympus Viewer should have this ability (Canon and Nikon do in their software), but it doesn't. I recall that there is a utility called PhotoMe that has the ability, but I haven't used it.
  4. HOLLYW00D

HOLLYW00D New to Mu-43

Nov 15, 2013
    PhotoMe does, indeed, show the focus point. however, it's depicted on a very small thumbnail preview of the open image (tested using RAW file format).
  5. Slug

Slug New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Darwin, Oz
    OK - thanks guys. I'll give PhotoMe a try ....
  6. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    What about Panasonic focus points? (m4/3 and compacts like LX7)

I can't remember if the LX7 came with any software but in any case I haven't used it.

I would love to be able to remind myself of the focus point.
  7. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Apple's Aperture program shows the E-M1 focus point - you can toggle it on/off from the info tab