1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Review: Polymer Works Grab Focus Lens Cover (45/1.8)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by twokatmew, May 18, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    During the past week, I've been trying out the Grab Focus lens cover for the Oly 45/1.8 lens. It arrived with a professional-looking, illustrated instruction sheet that includes simple instructions for installing and removing the cover, along with a few tips for mounting and dismounting the lens with Grab Focus attached.

My first reaction upon holding the cover in my hand, was "Wow, this is really nice!" Even nicer than it looks in the detailed photos Bravin posted in his "Protect Your Lens" thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/protect-your-lens-45909/#post447707

The Grab Focus is lightweight and nicely made with a strip of very low-pile, adhesive-backed faux velvet on the inside to assist with grasping the focus ring. The cover slipped easily onto my lens, and I think it looks quite nice on my silver E-PM2 with or without my black hood.

First test, manual focusing: with just a tiny bit of pressure on the focus ring (the ribbed area of the cover), manual focus feels and works fine. On my first attempt, I used more pressure than necessary, so manual focus was a little jerky. But within a second or two, I knew just how little pressure to apply, and manual focus worked very smoothly.

Next up, mounting and dismounting the lens with Grab Focus attached. This test worried me a bit, as my naked 45/1.8 is particularly difficult to mount and dismount. And sadly, despite Bravin's excellent instructions, I've yet to master either task.

When mounting the lens (cover installed), the lens sticks about half-way (as it does when naked), at which point I stop, get a better grip on the lens/cover and try to complete the mount. Unfortunately, the cover turns while the lens does not. When dismounting the lens (cover installed), each time I feel like the lens will disengage at any moment. I do manage to move the lens just enough that the camera can't identify the aperture, etc., but the cover continues to turn without the lens.

The good news is that I've found I don't have to completely remove the cover to mount or dismount the lens. If I pull the cover forward enough that I can grasp the bare lens base, I can mount and dismount the lens with the Grab Focus on the lens. Further, I don't change lenses much, so even if I had to completely remove the Grab Focus to mount/dismount the lens, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. :smile:

Even though the faux velvet strip inside the Grab Focus is very low-pile, it does inevitably pick up a little dust. The velvet is so smooth that a quick wipe around the inside of the cover with my index finger easily takes care of it.

I really like the Grab Focus. I left it on my lens all week, only removing it for various tests, and I feel my 45/1.8 is well protected from dings and scrapes. My rating: I'll be keeping it on my lens! 4 stars out of 5.

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I got mine a couple of days ago, closely followed by a 45mm bought off the board here. Yes, I bought an accessory for the lens before I bought the lens itself. :smile:
    Anywho, I completely agree with twokatmew's review. It's a well made, functional piece that looks great and works perfectly. :2thumbs:

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Are you able to mount & dismount the lens while its wearing the Grab Focus? My 45 is my most difficult lens to mount anyway, and I've got small hands, too. Pickle jars are a real struggle for me without the proper tools, so I'm sure others can mount/dismount the lens while it's wearing the cover. Just curious. :smile:

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I have the same issue with the 45 that you do, it takes more force to mount and dismount than any other lens I have. So I slide the cover forward just enough to grab the mount ring. Easy peasy. :smile:

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Ah, so it *is* the lens and not me. I figured it was one of us. :wink:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

6. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Thanks for the review twokatmew!

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    So in your opinion, TwoKat, what is the purpose of this thing?

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - good to know! :cool:

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    My apologies for not addressing this better in my review! I thought the cover's purpose was obvious. Mea culpa! :redface:

It protects the lens from dings and scratches, dust getting into the focus ring, etc. And I'd say it does a really good job of that. I'm very careful with my gear, but it's easy enough to accidentally bump the lens into something while wearing my camera. And if shooting in a particularly dusty/sandy/windy environment.... Check out Woof's review of the cover for the 12/2.0 lens for further details:

https://www.mu-43.com/f38/review-grab-focus-lens-cover-olympus-12mm-f-2-0-a-46493/

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I received mine and really like it. It's not designed for using a reversible bayonet hood but I trimmed off a few mms. Very simple with the grooved design. I haven't quite figured out how to get my JJC hood black(and it shows). Some gaffers will have to suffice until they produce a black version.

Great work Bravin.

8867115712_e0ecf3d100_b.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^
    Hood discussion is something I completely missed in my review, as I rarely use a hood, and when I do (with this lens), I use a screw-in metal hood, so I had no issues with the cover. I recall this was also mentioned in the review of the cover for the 12/2.0. Good news for bayonet users that it's easy to mod the cover. :smile: I think I'm going to pick up one of these for my 17/1.8, and once again, if I use a one at all, I use a screw-in metal, vented hood ... and it just happens to be black! :biggrin:

12. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I do want to mention that I did discuss the material removal with Bravin and he did mention that the material could possibly unravel.

I don't want to promote the modification and cause any problems for anyone down the road. So YMMV.

13. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Thank you John!

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Looks like a clever solution to my 'silver lens/black body' problem :)