1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Review & Pics: Peak Designs Leash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by twokatmew, May 10, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I really like mine. Its simple, compact, and detaches easily with very short tails left.

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Yeah the little string hooks are completely unobtrusive, another positive (in a long list!).

Edit: that 1kind has a discount code at the end of their review, 10% off - code is: 1kind - go figure :) It might be better than 10% depending on how much you're spending.

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I don't see a coupon code at the end of the review, but I realized it *is* 10% off, not $5. I was getting confused, as the leash/cuff bundle is $5 off, then the code takes off another $5, 10%. Anyway, just ordered the bundle ... then fixed the title of and link to previous thread. :biggrin:

5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I caved. Saw them at B&H. Impulse buy....

99% of the review parrots Peak Design literature. Author's only insight is his or her preference to place two connectors onto one lug of the camera.

6. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I received a set in the mail a couple of days ago.

I already had the capture system and I'm happy to see its same elegant and functional design in PD's latest products.The quick release connectors are brilliant, and the non-sticky and seatbelt material is perfect for our smaller gear (users of larger cameras might want more padding; PD says they'll release a padding accessory soon...)

They were definitely worth the 50 + S&H I paid; if you can get a discount, even better!

7. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    If, like me, you find the attachment method to be oversized and clackety sounding, and the logo overbearing, here is a solution. Thumbs up. An old glove is pressed into service.

Attaching the strap involved pushing the glove material upwards, exposing the red and black disc.

This is the kind of tool needed to remove a sewn-on label non-destructively. (to the strap, that is..)

Later on, I used a finger instead of a thumb. Less oversized and it wraps the hardware nicer.

So, now I have one glove for the Gloved One look and another for the Material Girl look.

8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah lazy review. Parts that look copy and pasted where it refers to a "we"(as in Peak Designs) team in the description of the product.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I got my leash and cuff in the mail today, and I think I'm really going to like it. Even though the cuff is long, I can see it's meant to keep the camera from hitting the ground if I drop it. I *won't* be able to wear the cuff wrapped around my wrist when I'm not using it though. My wrist is just too small (only 14cm!), and the cuff falls down over my hand. Not a big deal. After managing to squeeze the threads on the connectors through the tiny lugs on my E-M5, I elected to re-install the camera's metal/plastic doohickies and attach the Peak connectors to them instead.

Thanks to Savas for the tip: I used a small computer screwdriver to pry open the rings and thread them through the lugs. Usually the first thing I do with a new Oly (while the battery's charging) is remove the clips, but I think I'll leave 'em where they are from now on. :wink:

BTW, the boxes clearly show both the leash and clip are supposed to come with a small carrying bag. Neither my leash nor my cuff came with one. Has anyone else gotten a small carry bag with theirs? Perhaps Peak Designs no longer includes them ... and hasn't yet updated their boxes?

Anyway, it seems like a very secure system. I can't wait to try it out! :smile:

10. Savas K

Jan 10, 2013
    The bags are supposed to be behind the cardboard insert that holds the product in the box window. Same spot where the folded instructions are.

The length of cuff is long. It could be useful for using a gripped EM-5 and holding it in portrait orientation. Though I like my wrist thongs shorter that bring the hand closer to the camera and enable one-handed thumb button press operation by doing so. The entire leash and cuff system is really about the connectors. I might experiment by cutting the strap off altogether and affixing something that accommodates what I am accustomed to.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    So did you get a bag? I took apart both boxes and found no bag in either. :frown:

Yeah, I love the connectors. It would be great if there were actual wrist straps with that connector so I could swap easily. :smile:

12. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, I've had three leashes and they all came with a bag. The Capture clip came with one also, but IIRC the Cuff did not.

Btw for anyone interested in ordering right now, they are doing a 25% off 'flash sale' to raise some money for one of their employees Peter who just had his appendix out. I believe the code is "pdappendix" at checkout. Just bought myself a second capture clip for 25% off so I can have one on a belt and the other on a strap if desired. Wasn't going to splurge but for 25% off, what the heck.

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks Jay! Do you have the small plate that fits m43? I'm wondering how it might fit on an E-PM2 ... or an E-M5.

14. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, the micro plate is what I use on my GH3. I don't have a E-PM2 but I can try getting a pic of it mounted on an OM-D tomorrow for you.

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks but no need to take a pic. I'm not sure I'd use it on the E-M5 anyway, because I have the RRS plate on the camera. I'm not sure I'd actually use the Capture Clip system, but if I did, I'd end up removing the RRS plate.

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I can see the plate won't work with an EPM2, now that I look at the camera base. The tripod mount isn't centered front to back, and the plate's too wide, too. The Capture system is prolly overkill for such a small cam anyway.

BTW, I emailed customer service re missing carry case, and I just got an email that one will be on its way to me tomorrow. Great service! :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

17. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice, I figured they would take care of you. When I had a problem with one of the Leash clips they had a new one out to me in less than 24 hours so it does seem they take customer service seriously :smile:

18. shockwave

shockwave New to Mu-43

May 7, 2013
    Do those of you who use it as a sling have both sides connected to the left side of the camera as recommended? The rear strap seems to get in the way of the LCD on my G3 in this position so I just connected it to the right side instead. Any reason why they recommend connecting both ends to the left side?

Other than that I really like the product it's extremely comfortable and smooth moving.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Even when I use it as a sling, I use both left and right connectors. Just a matter of preference, I think.

--

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes! Got my pouches in two days shipped USPS First Class from CA to MI, same as my original order. How they manage such quick delivery is beyond me ... but much appreciated. :biggrin:

--