1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Review of the E-M10 and 14-42mm EZ pancake lens (from Robin Wong's blog)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DL Photo, Feb 12, 2014.

1. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Enjoy your camera. I got mine last week (replacement for EP5) and love it so far.
    Also have always enjoyed Robin's work - even his not so subtle remark about DPReview forum comments.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Swandy did you have both e-P5 and E-M10 at the same time?
    Which suits you better and why?

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    No, I sold the EP5 (with the VF4) to get the EM10. I always liked the form factor of the Pens. Had the EP3 and sold it to get the EM5 (better IQ and what I thought was a better control layout) but never warmed to the EM5. Sold it when the EP5 was released (liked the improvements in control layout over the EP3) and never loved the EM5's mushy buttons. But ever since I got the Stylus 1 (replaced my XZ-2) I discovered that I liked having the EVF around all the time - on the EP5 I only attached it when using manually focusing lenses. Hence the EM10.
    I think if you either want or need an EVF on a regular basis, the OMD line makes more sense. I don't miss the 5 Axis vs 3 Axis IS - the two additional axises are horizontal and vertical movement, which to my eyes effects video (which I don't do a lot) much more than still photos. Also like the control layout of the EM10 and feel that the IQ is a bit better than the EP5. Nothing scientific - just some quick observations.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I didn't think I had any interest in the new pancake zoom but I have to admit that Robin's pics at the long end look surprisingly good. I'm a bit torn because I want the Panasonic pancake zoom for the 12mm but I tend to use the long end a lot as well. I want to have my cake and eat it too :sad010:

I didn't know that Olympus came out with a new Macro converter but that looks promising for the price and easy to carry around.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Is the zoom available seperately yet? I'd love to get one, even though then I'd have 3 zoom kit lens, lol.

7. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    On the Olympus website store its listed as 'pre-order' so I would assume its not available anywhere yet.

8. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I spoke with Olympus yesterday. They mentioned that the zoom will be in stock first week March.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    That's disappointing. I have the EZ zoom and the BCL Fisheye on pre-order at Adorama and was expecting them like this week!!!

10. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I thought about the Panasonic, but without any external zoom controls, you are forced to use the screen for everything (zoom and manual focus) and that turned me off. At least the Olympus has two separate rings for manual focusing and the electronic zoom (which I am not sure I will like, but want to try it out).
    Also I want to compare it for IQ and sharpness to my current 14-42IIR. I read in some preview (don't remember if it was Robin's, might be) that the reviewer felt that the 14-42IIR was a bit sharper on the wide end but the EZ was sharper on the long end. Ah - compromises!!!

11. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Robin Wong compared the new pancake zoom to the 12-50 and he feels that the pancake zoom is sharper than the 12-50. Unfortunately, he did not compare it to the previous 12-42IIR.

12. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I think Im going to eventually get this pancake lens & pair it with my 40-150 lens as a cheap light but decent IQ zoom pairing for when I need it. Too bad it wasn't a 12-xx zoom lens that would have made it just perfect. If the Panasonic pancake zoom had a MF ring I would get that instead but the lack of MF ring is really annoying.

You know what Im really curious about though? How this new pancake zoom compares to the P14 at 14mm & f/3.5.... if its pretty close in IQ I can see myself giving up the P14 and the extra 1 stop or so it provides I think.

13. paladaxar

paladaxar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Swandy, that was one of the things I noticed about the EM5 too...I didn't like the mushy buttons. So I'm guessing all of the menu and navigation buttons are more "clicky", but how's the shutter release button? I know it's bigger, but does it seem better than on the EM5??

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Although he did say he thought it was optically the same design as the Olympus 14-42IIR collapsible, which tallies with a bit sharper than the 12-50 and overall quite good.
    We can estimate most of its optical characteristics from the older collapsible lens, but not any potential vibration issues like those that ocurred when the Lumix 14-42PZ was introduced.

15. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I have an order in for the collapsible lens with Amazon, which I purchased as part of my E-M10 package. Originally it said it was to be in stock on February 12th, but now no date is given. (The 25mm arrives today from Amazon, BTW.) I intend to use the lens as an alternate to the 12-40mm when photography isn't the primary purpose of an outing (e.g., an amusement park with my son), but when a prime may be too limiting. For a time, I used the similar Sony lens with a NEX-6 and though the quality of the lens was not good, it was adequate for snapshots and made the camera a better alternative on a sunny day than a point-and-shoot lacking a viewfinder.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Good catch, I missed that on the first reading. The 14-42 II R is competent enough from what I've seen, especially considering the price with kit ($50-100), but if they're going to update the mechanics and raise the price to $350, an update to the optics would have been nice.

That's another good point. I would assume Olympus did their homework and tested it with all their bodies, but we don't know at this point.

17. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Aside from the size difference, I don't see much difference from what I remember the EM5 shutter button. It does feel more comfortable - but that is because it is bigger. But I don't remember the EM5 button being mushy like the other buttons on the camera. The one on the EM10 is certainly not mushy. (I did have the EP5 between the two, so differences might get mixed up between the bodies.)